Talk

Advanced search

New to knitting.

(12 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 14-Aug-11 22:58:54

Hello. I was recently persuaded to knit some squares for a baby blanket. Having not knitted for 30 years, I learned to cast on and do purl stitch on youtube.

I've signed up on Ravelry. I think I'd like to make a couple of cushions for the house but all the stitches are baffling. I also can't work which bit of the forum would be good to say "Hello and help!"

And the pattern I found which looked quite simple said "Hold yarn double". What does that mean?

Garter stitch, stocking stitch, confused Don't know what they are!

Where to start?

mrswoodentop Sun 14-Aug-11 23:01:09

YouTube is full of helpful videos just google knittingwink
Also knittinghelp .com is fantastic and has films of just about every stich

moogdroog Mon 15-Aug-11 09:15:56

Hi there,
Agree that both YouTube and knittinghelp are great resources. When I was learning to knit though, I really needed a book - I thoroughly recommend The Stitch and Bitch Handbook by Debbie Stoller as a starting point. She explains everything in a way that makes sense (and is quite funny) with excellent illustrations to really help you understand what it is you're doing. Turn to it frequently still. Nice selection of patterns too.
If you've not yet discovered it www.knitty.com is flippin' brilliant (be sure to check the pattern archive) - full of inspiring, wearable and funky patterns that have spurred me on to discover new techniques.
Ravelry is of course what the internet was made for IMHO.
Happy knitting OP!

LatteLady Mon 15-Aug-11 15:17:37

OK starting backwards - Garter stitch is your basic knit stitch, Stocking stitch is one row garter/plain/knit and the following row is purl which gives you a smooth side and a rough side.

As to the hold yarn double, would need to see the whole row sequence to get a sense of what you are doing... can you put up a link to the pattern on Rav?

mrswoodentop Tue 16-Aug-11 12:03:30

Good books;
Lurks of wisdom
Knitty Gritty

Meow75 Fri 19-Aug-11 09:48:10

MaryMotherOfCheeses, I learned to knit at Easter, after numerous attempts from my late mum trying to teach me as a child and teenager.

I have also found Ravelry to be a great resource. I am Stedders on there, come and find me. There should also, hopefully be a board for your area. If not, come and be an honorary member in the one I'm in.

Looking forward to seeing you - click on forums, and it'll guide you from there.

InachisYarns Fri 19-Aug-11 18:20:00

Videos are good, but I could not get the hang of it. I joined a local knitting group and they have taken me under their wing. Do you have a group near you? Maybe in the community centre?

DutchOma Fri 19-Aug-11 20:38:25

There is a 'new knitters' group on Ravelry. Also you can search for your area, there are lots of local Ravelry groups. Also your local library might have a group, several of ours have, almost every day of the week.
I am also Dutchoma on Ravelry and would be glad to help out with any queries.
For the current questions, LatteLady has answered those

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Aug-11 23:18:32

Thank you, have been away for a few days so sorry for the delay in responding, but all this is very useful and I will pop up on ravelry as soon as I can. smile

80sMum Sat 20-Aug-11 23:50:44

If you're looking for a book, I'd recommend Vogue Knitting
However, getting someone to actually show you what the stitches are is much easier when you're starting out. I was lucky in that my mother taught me how to knit when I was 5, so I feel as though I've always known how to do it. Maybe you could join a local knitting group. These are cropping up more and more thses days.
Good luck with your knitting. smile

Meow75 Sun 21-Aug-11 20:07:23

80sMum

It's funny, isn't it - my mum tried to teach me regularly from the age of 5 to at least 15. Cue many attempts at knitting to be thrown across the living room.

April this year, I was invited to be part of an Olympic project, and I vowed to myself I'd learn to knit and join in.

YouTube became my friend, and within 24 hours I'd cracked it. I am, of course, terribly envious of all that extra knitting time you've had from such a young age. envy

I wonder whether a live teacher is better for youngsters, with video better for (supposed wink) grown ups.

woollyideas Tue 23-Aug-11 13:32:19

'Hold yarn double' just means using two strands of yarn together to achieve a thicker stitch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now