Talk

Advanced search

Dd1 would like a MASSIVE arts and craft kit... can anyone recommend one?

(15 Posts)
TheBolter Mon 01-Aug-11 19:25:37

That's it really! Her friend got a huge one for her birthday and dd2 would like one too. Not sure where her friend's mum got it though, so looking for something similar.

trumpton Mon 01-Aug-11 19:43:33

this sort of kit? Amazon will let you sort by age and cost.

TheBolter Mon 01-Aug-11 19:45:20

That's nice, Trumpton, thank you. But I'm looking for something even bigger!

virgiltracey Mon 01-Aug-11 19:49:36

we were looking for something similar for DS2 and went for one from argos which I then padded out a bit. will try to find it and link to it. It worked out cheaper than buying a large tool box and filling it myself which was my fallback option.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 01-Aug-11 19:50:57

What about getting a load of stuff from hobby craft and sticking it in a box/hamper for her? That way she could choose what sort of stuff to get.

BornToFolk Mon 01-Aug-11 19:52:59

Make one yourself? I did one for my niece's 4th birthday by buying a big storage box and a collage kit from ELC (heavily reduced) and adding loads of bits and bobs from The Works, Wilkos etc. It was really fun finding cool things to add.

TheBolter Mon 01-Aug-11 19:57:47

Yes - making one myself is a GOOD IDEA. Thank you, I will look into it.

TheBolter Mon 01-Aug-11 19:58:26

Wow- I could go mad in Hobbycraft Jareth. Remind me who this present id for grin.

TheBolter Mon 01-Aug-11 19:58:53

is not id.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 01-Aug-11 20:02:53

grin

defineme Mon 01-Aug-11 20:09:01

I have been to hobbycraft today-nice stuff like modelling clay and split pins that you can't get everywhere, but some things overpriced. I got far cheaper paint/glue/pipe cleaners at The Range and I think Wilkos is absolute cheapest.
Lots of nice colured boxes in B&M bargains and The Range

rockinhippy Mon 01-Aug-11 23:21:23

I agree with doing it yourself too - you'll get far more for your money, just buy one of those large stackable crates, or maybe even the plastic drawer sets, so you can separate the activities ( we've done tha with DDs craft stuff & works a treat smile )

hobby craft as mentioned already, the Works, Poundland & the likes are great for filling it with bits & bob

& I love this company for more interesting bits & bobs, such as masks, pegs doll stuff, stick puppets etc etc

kellestar Tue 02-Aug-11 07:52:43

I have done this for my neice in the past and do a top up every year.

Don't forget basics like glue, spreaders, paint brushes and sellotape. I bought a plastic 4 drawer tower from argos and themed each drawer. I was in tesco direct and they had tubs of sparkly pom poms, feathers or ric rac for £1. Paper Mill is good for paper and card as you can get a pinch of all sorts of colours, textures and weights. Do you have an independant haberdashers?? Ours is mainly cheaper than hobbycraft and sometimes the range.

Decorative edge scissors are always popular, i bought a set of eBay that were hardly used £3 ish inc p&p.

Ribbon can be expensive, our cake decorators shop is the cheapest and she is happy to sell short lengths as it's all on rolls.

Buttons, charity shops are often good for these.

Glitter is always popular, but find that glitter glue is less messy.

Btw neice has asked for a sewing themed edition for christmas this year been raiding our haberdashers oddments and offcuts bin, found some good bright and cheerful cotton prints. Her mum is far from crafty and struggles, so it's nice to let her have some bits and bobs.

seeker Tue 02-Aug-11 07:55:19

Tkmaxx often has brilliant crafty things. The Works is good too.

Colourworld Tue 02-Aug-11 11:15:31

What about Grafix 200 Piece Mega Activity Kit

Mega craft kit

When you search for big craft kits I would advise you to add word "mega".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now