Talk

Advanced search

Starting my life in craft... Top tips please

(14 Posts)
clemetteattlee Tue 26-Jul-11 08:35:19

Good morning all, I was hoping to pick your expert brains if that is ok?
For about ten years I have been doing cross-stitch kits and enjoy the end results but am ready to move on to other things now. I would like to knit, crochet and patchwork but am not sure which one to start with (which is most straightforward) and which books/websites would be most helpful in teaching me (I don't have time to go to any classes).
Also, are there any good patterns online for things that I could make and then use so I keep motivated?
To be honest, I am just hoping for top tips!
ThNk in advance

Dingle Tue 26-Jul-11 13:23:06

Think of the time and place you have available to craft. You can knit and crochet anywhere, it takes up minimal space to actually craft....I am not counting the cupboards, drawers and loft stashed up to the hilt in wool supplies!blush If you are thinking of patchwork using a sewing machine, you would ideally need somewhere permenantly set up or otherwise your "available time" may be limited.

clemetteattlee Tue 26-Jul-11 14:13:28

Thank you. Is it too difficult to do patchwork by hand?

Dingle Tue 26-Jul-11 17:13:20

I mainly do knitting and papercrafts, not really a sewer I am afraid. I did however start an oldfashioned hexagon patchwork years and years and years ago. I must have been in my teens and I am now in my 40s....shall I just say it is still all boxed up in the loft with the hoards of wool! blush

Hopefully someone will be along soon to enlighten us! wink

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jul-11 19:25:07

I taught myself to crochet about 3 weeks ago and have had a lot of fun with it so far. Loads of patterns online to choose from. I used a book called Crochet Unravelled to learn from.

kellestar Tue 26-Jul-11 19:32:31

For knitting and crochet patterns, ravelry is your best bet. Lots to see and get inspiration for.

I have done a little bit of all of it, but always come back to Crochet. I can Knit [very basic] and did a ton of cross stitch when I was younger. I like tapestry [especially cushions]. Patchwork is much easier with a machine for joining, but hand quilting is quite pleasant and something you can do in front of the tv and depending on the size, on the move.

I learnt alot of basics of friends and family who enjoy them as their hobbies. I have done quite a few short courses to 'try out' new hobbies. Like sugarcraft [I have the skill of a 2 year old], jewellery making [totally addicted to beads], quilting/patchwork [gave me more confidence in my machine], lead glass work [a lovely one off pane, but too much space needed] at a local college. A six week course cost £30 and materials on top. So it's worth asking around your friends for tips/tricks, checking out shortcourses in your area [try your local colleges/schools], or going along to your local yarn haven and asking for advice.

Mollymax Tue 26-Jul-11 19:39:35

Patchwork by hand is very easy, but time consuming. Therapeutic though. I have been patchworking with hexagons for years.
If you enjoy cross stitch you could design your own charts, i have not cross stitched for a while as i find it more difficult to see.

clemetteattlee Wed 27-Jul-11 22:33:22

Thanks again for the great tips. I am really looking forward to getting started (once I decide what to make!). Any ideas for something easy but that would work as a good present?

PonceyMcPonce Tue 02-Aug-11 20:19:19

I do a bit of everything and enjoy the variety.
I am doing subversive cross stitches in frames for Xmas. It feels v naughty, putting rude things in such a traditional way, but lots lof fun.

stitchthis Tue 02-Aug-11 20:40:57

Hand piecing patchwork is very soothing and very portable too. I have a long commute and crochet has proved v do-able too. Knitting toys is fun, relatively quick and rewarding. DS1 loves his knitted bunny.

clemetteattlee Wed 03-Aug-11 13:35:11

Oh, a knitted bunny sounds good. Is it a straightforward pattern (this from someone who can knit but is not entirely confident about purling!)

stitchthis Wed 03-Aug-11 15:15:21

its from this book. I posted it on ravelry here - not sure if the pic will work, you may need to login first. It was easy-ish knit, purl and inc and dec only. Lots of fun though!

clemetteattlee Thu 04-Aug-11 11:28:25

Thank you xx

Clickncraft Mon 15-Aug-11 00:17:30

I know you've mentioned knitting, crochet and patchwork as some of the new crafts you'd like to start and although they are all good fun (I do some knitting and crochet myself) may I suggest something completely different?

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of polymer clay (sculpey, fimo and the likes), but ever since I started making things in clay I've been completely and utterly hooked (a good 10 years ago.)

As for supplies you don't need much to start off with, ofcourse you can go crazy and buy every shaper and tool for it available, but you can do that with any craft I guess. I'd say just a good craft blade, a few toothpicks to shape with, some Fimo Soft clay and an oven to bake the clay in is a good enough place to start.

My blog www.clicknclay.blogspot.com has video tutorials and how to's, and ofcourse YouTube is an excellent place for inspiration and tutorials.

Just an idea smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now