Talk

Advanced search

Dungarees - why 4 pieces for the trousers and not 2?

(12 Posts)

Right I am mid-way thru making my first pair of dungarees for my DD as I am sewing the pieces I am wondering - is there a reason that you have to cut and sew 4 pieces of material (so 2 pieces for the front and 2 pieces for the back of the trouser)to make the trouser part and not just 2 (one front and one back)
Does this question make any sense?

TIA

zandy Sun 24-Jul-11 12:57:47

I'm not a sewer, but my ignorant guess would be to give shape/structure/definition to the trouser.

(bump)

KatyMac Sun 24-Jul-11 13:00:37

Do they have buttons at the waist? if so that's why

Zandy thanks for your reply but I am not sure that is the reason as I can't see how it would.

KatyMac - no buttons at waist I would see why for trousers with a fly would need the front opening but these are dungarees that you can fasten at the side.

KatyMac Sun 24-Jul-11 13:08:53

So if they fasten with a button they will need to overlap; which is why there are 4 pieces

The underneath bits need to be seemed to work/hang properly so that's one seam; the overlap at the waist for buttons/button holes is the need for the second seam

I think

AllThreeWays Sun 24-Jul-11 13:12:47

Zandy is right, it create the curved crotch piece, we are not flat people but have to create clothes out of flat fabric.
You can make a pair of trousers out of two pieces but not a front and a piece, but rather a two identical pieces that are half a front and half a back.

I still don't understand why the material can't be cut wider at the sides but I think this is me being stupid and not understanding seams and sewing very well.

Ah between all 3 of you I think I understand what you are getting at thanks!

LatteLady Sun 24-Jul-11 15:53:46

It is in four pieces rather than two, for both the crutch as ATW explained and also because if you have only two pieces you would have too much fabric at the waist - even if you had large darts from the waist band there would be too much bulk of fabric to deal with... added to which you will often find that the back of the leg is slightly larger to allow for bottoms.

The only time you get them done is two pieces is if they are fishermen's trousers when you have the excess fabric doubling around the waist but they do remain open at the sides.

hmm I am working off an an adult pattern but it is for a toddler who is in nappies so maybe the 2 piece would work as I need extra room in the butt for the nappy (the ones I have made are too small).

Maybe I should stop experimenting and just fork out for an actual pattern.

AllThreeWays Mon 25-Jul-11 12:00:24

You could try this tutorial, it uses two piece legs littleladiescrafts.blogspot.com/2010/08/dungarees-tutorial.html

Thanks all3ways, might try that next smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now