Talk

Advanced search

I need an artsy-craftsy hobby!

(9 Posts)
Clockface Thu 21-Jul-11 13:24:24

Where do you recommend I should start?

I've done some cross stitching but I quite fancy trying something new. I have a sewing machine but haven't used it in ages.

I'd like to do something in the evenings that is a bit creative and not too tricky to start with. I've just been looking at some quilting websites but that looks pretty hard!

Any ideas?

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 21-Jul-11 13:47:48

i've got back into knitting recently. i could knit before but haven't for years. have managed a cable pattern (mittens and hat) and some mittens and some teeny things.

i taught myself how to crochet (basics only) through the internet! smile there are loads of videos on youtube etc. i find it so much easier to understand if i can see it. iyswim.
i'm crocheting some granny squares but think i'll sew them onto a fleece backing (cheap ikea throw) as i'll get bored before i've made enough for a blanket for dd in the buggy.

i like the fact i can do both on the sofa rather than having to sit at a table with the sewing machine.

SybilBeddows Thu 21-Jul-11 13:55:36

quilting isn't hard. I mean, you can do fancy stuff or really nice simple things.

I like this book

I'm about to finish my first machine-made quilt (sitting here binding it in between posting) and I must say it looks bloody good and professional even though it is my first. If you find some fabric you like it's easy to get something you're pleased with.

I'm doing a handmade one as well but that's taking forever.

SybilBeddows Thu 21-Jul-11 13:57:27

actually I say machine-made, but I hand-quilted it because I like the 'having something to do in front of the tv' aspect.

Clockface Thu 21-Jul-11 14:04:02

Thanks for the replies, and the book recommendation.

I was at a villege fete a few weeks ago where a lady was selling quilts she'd made for charity - they were beautiful! That's what got me thinking that I'd love to have a go myself.

I've never got the hang of knitting. My godmother tried to teach me as a child but I didn't quite get there - although the idea of knitting scarves etc is quite appealing...I'd like to make something (iyswim), not really sure what.

SybilBeddows Thu 21-Jul-11 14:49:32

yes the level of skill you see at village fetes is quite something.
I was at a county show last weekend and there was some incredible handquilting, especially on cushions - it put the one I am doing to shame, but it doesn't matter, mine is still nice even if it would be unlikely to win prizes.

Clockface Fri 22-Jul-11 16:36:26

Sounds good!

I am planning on making a start over the summer hols. Am I right in thinking that cotton would be the easiest fabric to ues for quilting?

SybilBeddows Fri 22-Jul-11 17:01:13

yes, definitely. 100% cotton is good because it takes a crease nicely and doesn't fray too much. Silk is slippery and frays and artificial fabrics are too crease-resistant.

TimeForCake Fri 22-Jul-11 18:27:05

I have just finished my first scrapbook and am feeling very proud! I made it for a friend and she was really thrilled. Definitely want to do another one now- want to add to my very small collection of crafty bits. Really enjoyed it, even though I didn't really know what I was doing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now