Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Knitters - recommendations for baby knits books/yarn/knitting things?

(10 Posts)
Xiaoxiong Wed 20-Jul-11 11:47:21

I am not a knitter but I'm sure there are some fabulously talented ones on MN.

My lovely MIL has been diagnosed with cancer and mentioned she is hoping that knitting for the baby will keep her distracted during the radiation and chemo (I am 21 weeks pg with what will be her first grandchild smile)

I really hope this works, and in addition this would be an amazing gift for the baby as I have no idea how to knit and neither does my mother, so it would be something really special only she could do. I know money is tight so I thought I could get her a couple of books and some yarn.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I found these on Amazon which all look nice but as a non-knitter I have no way of evaluating them, or their reviews!!

www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Nursery-Knits-Hand-knit-Designs/dp/1844007073/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3
www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Knits-Cherished-Babies-Knight/dp/1843404788/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-Baby-Special-Handknits-Babys/dp/1844003167/ref=pd_cp_b_2
www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Knits-Beginners-Debbie-Bliss/dp/0091889138/ref=pd_cp_b_2

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 20-Jul-11 18:57:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BornToFolk Wed 20-Jul-11 19:11:10

Sorry about your MIL. And congratulations on your pregnancy!

I really like the Debbie Bliss baby books. How proficient is your MIL? The one for beginners is really basic (though it does have some nice things in)

I have the Baby Knits Book and have used it a lot. It's good as it's got a good range of patterns from very simple, to more complicated heirloom type patterns.

I suggest you get your MIL a book and ask her to choose a pattern, then go and buy the yarn it suggests. If you go to a decent yarn shop, they should be able to help you find a suitable yarn if the one called for in the pattern isn't available. Or come back here and ask!

My favourite yarns for baby things are Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Baby (lovely, but pricey), Sirdar Snuggly (cheap acrylic but very soft and hardwearing and comes in a good range of colours, not just baby pastels) and Rowan Wool Cotton (again not cheap but really nice to knit with and wears very well)

Good luck, it's a lovely idea!

COCKadoodledooo Wed 20-Jul-11 19:29:28

If she's already a knitter, then I'd say have a look through the books and pick one that has patterns in it for things you actually be happy for your lo to wear!

We had a friend knit some absolutely beautiful cardies and bootees for ds2, but someone we didn't know (mil's neighbour) knitted ds1 a cardigan that (a) was a hideous colour [shallow] and (b) had a hood so huge it was too big for dh, never mind 3 week old ds1..

freelancescientist Wed 20-Jul-11 20:40:33

It might be nice for her to knit a blanket or shawl. They are really lovely keepsakes when a cardi just gets worn then put away. Also usually fairly simple so she can do bits even when she isn't feeling up to much. There are some lovely free patterns online if you google baby patterns etc.

Starlet71 Wed 20-Jul-11 21:42:11

Hi,
I've just been rummaging around for a lovely book I've knitted about 4 baby items from but I can't find it - called something like 'baby bizou'..has shawls, cute tank tops etc. Try google.
Another idea is Debbie Abrahams' Blankets and Throws to Knit. She gives patterns for lots of squares (different colours, textures etc) and you can construct your own blanket to the size you want. The good thing about this is that it is a manageable and ongoing project with lots of variety, and the chance to try out new stitches and techniques and colour combos. I did one for my friend recently and it turned out really well.
Best wishes to you both.

moaningminniewhingesagain Wed 20-Jul-11 22:32:03

I have all those except for Simply Baby.

Natural Nursery knits has some really really beautiful stuff - that would be my first choice by a long way. I have also had this out from the library and will probably buy it in a minute

DutchOma Thu 21-Jul-11 09:08:35

Sorry to hear about your dm-i-l and congratulations on your pregnancy.

If she is already a knitter she may have lots of books and patterns already but would be grateful for the yarn. I would not try to make it a 'surprise' but talk it over with her. Is she a Ravelry member (ravelry.com).
I would say, talk, talk and talk some more before you spend any money at all.

Xiaoxiong Thu 21-Jul-11 09:28:03

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!! I knew there would be some enthusiastic knitters here smile

I have established from her partner that she doesn't have any baby knitting books, though she does have other pattern books. I think what I will do is buy a book or two from the ones recommended here, and then get her a gift certificate for yarn since as you note she will know more than I will about what she wants.

Thanks again for all the advice!

herbietea Thu 21-Jul-11 09:32:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now