Talk

Advanced search

Crochet apple key rings... Oh, and teeny hearts.

(21 Posts)
DragonAlley Tue 19-Jul-11 18:26:34

I'm just making my second one of these and they are so cute smile Very fiddly for me as I've only been crocheting a little over a week but my first one looks very acceptable.

I am making one for DS2 and DDs teachers at school (they are getting big presents from class collections - these are just for fun).

I have also made one solitary heart. Only because I got seduced away by apple key rings. I plan on making lots of these and hanging them from twigs or something (somewhere else on the blog she did this and it looked lovely)

DragonAlley Tue 19-Jul-11 18:27:09

Oh, the apples are, I think, an Amercan pattern so the terminology is different.

LatteLady Tue 19-Jul-11 18:46:35

Well done on making the key rings... American terminology is not that different, you just up it by one... so a single crochet in American becomes a double crochet in the UK.

DragonAlley Tue 19-Jul-11 18:51:18

Yes, I'd read that in my bible "crochet unravelled" grin It seems to have worked out so I must have got it right!

purplepidjincantatem Tue 19-Jul-11 19:23:45

Soooooooooooo cute! if you're up for more tiny things when you've done teacher pressies, charities like www.lisasstars.org.uk would like tiny toys for angels born premature and sleeping. I can pm you my pattern for a tiny teddy if you like? He's about 2" long and worked all in one like the apples smile

PS i need a pic of yours nosy cow

DragonAlley Tue 19-Jul-11 20:05:39

I suspect teddies may be beyond me at the moment! As a premature baby myself (albeit a large one!) it is something close to my heart though smile

I don't have an apple photo at the moment though.

purplepidjincantatem Tue 19-Jul-11 20:20:51

Dragon, I'll PM you.

The pattern is "mine" (in that i figured it out from a combination of others) so would prefer to only give it to people I know will use it for charity, iyswim?

frazzledblob Tue 19-Jul-11 21:13:51

The hearts and apples are lovely.

I am really liking the idea of keyrings for the teachers gifts. I made a stuffed heart keyring ages ago that only took one evening. If I can remember what pattern I used I will be sorted!

Purple is there a specific wool you use for the charity items?

purplepidjincantatem Tue 19-Jul-11 21:45:55

I think they're grateful for all donations; the amount of hats needed is enormous because, once they've fallen onto the floor, they have to be binned

Acrylic is fine, Poundstretcher near me does 5 balls for about £2.99 iirc. A lot of hospitals can't take crocheted blankets because of the risk of fingers and toes getting trapped in the holes, but hats, A4 paper sized blankets, clothes in tiny sizes, stuffed toys etc are all welcomed.

frazzledblob Tue 19-Jul-11 22:16:24

ok I am going to sign up. I have the whole of August to fill with crochet (children permitting).

Are there any patterns in particular you think are best to use?

purplepidjincantatem Wed 20-Jul-11 07:01:24

Knitted stuff here I think the crochet is a work in progress - Bev's Country Cottage is a good place for charity patterns smile

I've got stuff to go off, if you fancy combining postage?

DragonAlley Wed 20-Jul-11 18:40:43

This is my apple. Well, there are two of them and I need to make another as I got paint on the first one so can't give it as a gift blush. I also need to get some key chain things but I forgot it was early closing Wednesday today and the shop was shut [wail]

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 20-Jul-11 20:14:40

Purple can you pm me your crochet patterns? I'd like to make some stuff for charity.

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 20-Jul-11 20:16:02

Well done dragon btw, I've seen the heart pattern too and love it!

purplepidjincantatem Wed 20-Jul-11 22:55:45

Aw, little love apples!!! Soooo cute grin

cloudpuff Thu 21-Jul-11 10:30:10

They are great, well done you for learning to crochet. Did you learn from books or youtube videos like me?

SoupDragon Thu 21-Jul-11 12:11:35

I learnt from a book called "crochet unravelled". A couple of times I've just googled something for clarification - the iPad is an essential crafting tool! grin

I am also currently making DD a blanket which is will be basically a huge granny square - it is helping me with consistency. I think I'm going to enjoy making these little quick-to-finish things most though.

I am a little sad I only discovered this after my grandmother died, aged 99. She was a knitter and crocheter and I was an eternal disappointment to her due to my inability to knit smile Sadly, my mother has got rid of all the hooks and oddments of wool in the last year or two too.

BumperlicicusTotalus Thu 21-Jul-11 13:19:29

These are another easy and fab pattern from attic 24. Great Xmas presents.

BumperlicicusTotalus Thu 21-Jul-11 13:22:29

Soupy I've just made a large granny square cushion cover. It's a nice idea for mindless crochet. More portable than small squares in that you don't need to cart around loads of different balls of yarn.

SoupDragon Thu 21-Jul-11 15:47:50

My blanket is about the same size as a cushion cover at the moment. I am just doing it in, er, concentric squares of colourr I guess - carry on with a colour until the width of that band looks right and then switch grin

It has a crocheted flower and a butterfly attachted to hide mistakes as a decorative touch.

kellestar Fri 22-Jul-11 21:33:28

I did a ton of those itty bitty hearts, they now adorn birthday cards. Mounted some onto watercolour paper and put it in a box frame, really looks lovely in DD's bedroom.

I made DD a cot blanket using Attic24's Granny Stripes Blanket. It used alot of my oddments up and looks so bright and perky. Thinking about making another one.

I am a terror for starting projects and not finishing them. Love Ravelry for keeping me on track though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now