Talk

Advanced search

I just made a messenger bag with button-on flowers to help develop fine motor skills

(15 Posts)
overmydeadbody Sat 16-Jul-11 21:35:35

For a little girl I know. Just wanted to share it incase anyone else knows someone who might benefit from something like this.

you can see it here

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 16-Jul-11 21:41:19

omdb, that is gorgeous.

smile

What a lovely idea.

Are those extra flowers I see in one of the photo's? Or is there just enough for the buttons?

Have you any ideas for how to do a more masculine equivalent?

Do you have time to answer all these inane questions?

grin

overmydeadbody Sat 16-Jul-11 21:47:21

OOh yer, I have time! grin

Yes, there are extra flowers, for more variety and more customising options (and incase some get lost)

I think there are possibilities for boy versions, they like bags too, and instead of flowers you could do cars, or just circles, or spiders or whatever they are into. My DS would like cars but I know not all boys are as obsessed as him! You could also do a similar thing on cushions, if they are not into bags, with something like a scene they can create (like fuzzy felt) buttoning on clouds and a sun at the top, trees and cars and crass etc at the bottom maybe? Birds flying? I am getting all excited, so many possibilites.

Any other questions? smile

TittyBojangles Sat 16-Jul-11 21:52:11

I LOVE it.... Wish I was so talented! envy

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 16-Jul-11 21:57:58

These ideas are great.

I think the fuzzy felt idea is fabulous, you could even take it back even further for younger children, and do simple shapes, like the wooden jigsaws you could buy.

Cath Kidston has a boy's messenger bag in at the moment - you might want to have a look at that.

I may be back with more.

smile

whyme2 Sat 16-Jul-11 21:58:36

That is a fabulous idea. Love it. smile

bumpybecky Sat 16-Jul-11 22:52:42

I've just spent ages looking back through your blog. You've got the same table cloth as me, only mine has more biro marks on it! smile I've added a comment in the cookies post from last month with a link to a recipe I posted here

I'm off to look at all the other lovely sewing you've done now smile

FuzzpigFourFiveSix Sat 16-Jul-11 23:13:23

I wish I hadn't clicked your link. I am horrendously jealous of your talent. It is lovely smile

I am ok at embroidery although I've got out of practise - I am pretty good at design though. I've always dreamed of designing/selling customised children's t shirts, but I've no idea where to start. (sorry for hijack)

HippyHippopotamus Sun 17-Jul-11 07:09:28

omdb wow! your bag is absolutely amazing!

pollyteapot Sun 17-Jul-11 08:40:27

What a beautiful bag and such a lovely present to receive. I love the colours too.

overmydeadbody Sun 17-Jul-11 10:43:07

Thank you everyone for such lovely comments, what a lovely thing to start my sunday off with!

Chaos I shall have a look at the CK boy's messenger bag, for ideas.

Becky thanks for the recipe, I shall have to try it.

FuzzPig you really should look into designing children's t shirts, especially for boys, there is a serious lack of choice out there for nice t shirts for boys over the age of about 4.

PercyPigPie Sun 17-Jul-11 13:33:45

Wow, amazing. And what a lucky young girl she is to have such a thoughtful friend. Envious of your talent too.

overmydeadbody Sun 17-Jul-11 15:43:11

Thank you mudandmayhem, what a great name you have!

Dingle Mon 25-Jul-11 07:30:00

I can SOOOO appreciate this beautiful bag. My DD is 9, has Down Syndrome and struggles with buttons. (WHY, oh why are the buttons on school blouses so tiny!LOL)

In the past I have knitted her little bags and purses with a range of button sizes, starting initially with one big button and over time reducing the size.

It is so important to make the exercise fun and relaxed to build up confidence rather than during the stress of the morning routine.

FAB, FAB, FAB!!! xx

overmydeadbody Mon 25-Jul-11 09:21:12

Thank you Dingle.

Yes I agree, really important to make it fun, rather than during the stress of getting dressed in the morning (and especially, for this little girl, after PE or swimming at school).

She absolutely loved the bag, and her mum was very pleased too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now