Talk

Advanced search

Where to start

(9 Posts)
Karbea Fri 15-Jul-11 14:36:07

Hello,

I'm currently off work with stress, and I'm finding it really hard to motivate myself to do anything. But I'd really like to do something creative, that shows that I can actually "do" something, I feel like a real failure with all aspects of my life at the moment.
I can't, knit or sow etc. Can someone suggest a good place to start.

Thank you x

overmydeadbody Fri 15-Jul-11 16:17:20

I'm sorry you're feeling so low and suffering with stress.

Do you have a sewing machine? If not, sewing might not be the thing.

How about some simple jewellery making? It could be as simple as buying some lovely beads and stringing them on elastic for some bracelets, or invesitng in some wire and pliers and crimping beads to make some nice necklaces?

What about drawing and painting? I find that very relaxing and you can start without spending a fortune on supplies.

moominthecorner Fri 15-Jul-11 19:13:43

Is there a knitting group nearby? Learning to knit or crochet is very absorbing. I quilt to calm me. Try a wholecloth cushion pattern by sandie lush (google her) easy but impressivesmile good luck

Karbea Fri 15-Jul-11 19:27:50

over no I don't have a sewing machine, I thought about jewellery and there are a few kits, not sure which would be the best one to buy?

moo min I've no idea, I'm new to the area and I don't know anyone, or what is here really :S is there somewhere online you can find these things out?

DutchOma Fri 15-Jul-11 19:47:00

If you join Ravelry (ravelry.com) you can find knitting and crocheting groups in your area.
If nothing available, try a local wool shop or the library. Of the four libraries I know, three are running a 'knit and natter' group.
Crocheting is probably simpler than knitting to begin with.

SleepySuzy Fri 15-Jul-11 19:50:59

Card making. I love it...

moominthecorner Fri 15-Jul-11 22:52:57

Google 'British handknitting association' they have a list.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Sat 16-Jul-11 10:00:15

I second card making. I keep meaning to start blush. You can buy little magazines that have everything in them to make some cards and all the bits from large newsagents/supermarkets. I'm sure it's good enough to help you do your first few and see if it's for you.

I am really keen to start sewing and mum has said I can borrow her little used sewing machine, is there one you could borrow?

Btw good for you smile

CherryMandrake Sat 16-Jul-11 11:04:18

i make jewellery and i love it. i am off to do my first stall at a fete this afternoon (in the rain). i have found a new channel on virgin and freeview and they have a website too which sells everything. here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now