Talk

Advanced search

Advice for tapestry newby

(6 Posts)
busyhouseof8 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:20:36

Hello.

I'm new to the arts and crafts thread, but need some advice about a tapestry kit my family bought me for my birthday. You'll probably think it's a really stupid question!

The kit is a Glorafilia 16" cushion by Coats Crafts. Around the printed design pattern is a margin about 2" deep. The instructions say I should "cut the canvas margin as indicated" and then attach the right colour threads to each of a set of colour blocks on one of the cut off bits of margin so I know what coulr is what.

My problem is that there is no indication where I am supposed to cut the margin and I'm not quite sure what to do. If I cut off enough margin to detach the colour blocks that are on one side, then I only have about 1cm left before the printed design. Is that enough to then ensure there is enough material when I want to make the cushion up ? Would I be better just leaving the whole 2" margin all around on and not worrying if the attached colour test threads roll up when I use my tapestry roller frame (not sure if I'm making sense).

Any advice to a newby would really be appreciated. The kids went to such trouble to select me a kit and I don't want to screw it up before I start!

AMumInScotland Fri 15-Jul-11 15:15:46

I haven't done a printed kit for a while, but leaving only 1cm margin sounds very tight. Do you think you need their colour block thing to be clear which colour on the canvas relates to which colour thread? If you can tell easily enough which is which, then I'd leave the whole margin on and not worry if they get rolled up.

KurriKurri Fri 15-Jul-11 23:20:36

I've done one of those kits busyhouse - they are really lovely designs. I didn't cut any off mine, I attached the wool to the colour blocks and left it attached to the side, I like a good wide margin so you can be sure it doesn't start fraying at the edge. I just trimmed it up a little bit when it was finished (but still not as closely cut as 1cm)

If you are new to tapestry, I would recommend a frame of some sort for your work - it makes it easier to handle. I used one similar to these for my cushion - you roll the tapestry round the top, leaving the bit you're working on in the centre of it, so it's not too huge to deal with.

busyhouseof8 Sat 16-Jul-11 10:34:39

Thanks for the advice both. I have one of those rotating frames, just working out how to sew the tapestry to the rollers. I am such a clutz, but I figure so long as it's attached it doesn't matter too much how I do it!

I think I might put a bit of masking tape along the edges of the canvas so it doesn't catch or fray.

KurriKurri Sat 16-Jul-11 10:37:37

masking tape - good idea, I've done that in the past smile

I hope you enjoy it - it's a very relaxing hobby smile

kellestar Sat 16-Jul-11 19:24:17

I use an old postcard for my colourblock and punch holes for the thread and number. I never cut anything off until the end.

Masking tape is v. Handy.

i tack with a basic sewing thread to the rotating frame. The fabric rolling around also helps hold it tight on the frame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now