Talk

Advanced search

I have just taught myself to crochet

(15 Posts)
DragonAlley Thu 14-Jul-11 09:45:04

and I am inordinately pleased with myself!

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 14-Jul-11 09:46:00

So you should be! I am a knitter and I cannot get my head around crochet at all

BumperlicicusTotalus Thu 14-Jul-11 09:46:29

Well done! There's no turning back now! What are you making?

Halogen Thu 14-Jul-11 10:01:50

So have I! I'm making a granny square blanket. And considering a little hat for a baby.

esselle Thu 14-Jul-11 10:17:50

Well done you! I taught myself too when I couldn't find any old ladies to teach me. I found some great videos on you tube.

Check out this blog for some great inspiration Attic24... I have been making lots of little flowers to decorate hair clips and t shirts.

SleepySuzy Thu 14-Jul-11 10:19:08

I tried a few weeks ago and gave up. Well done!

DragonAlley Thu 14-Jul-11 10:24:25

Bought this book and it was a piece of cake.

At the moment, I've paused on the "granny square" that uses just clusters of treble crochet and am expanding it into a blanket for DD. This should, I think, cement what I've learned so far. Yes, there are mistakes but I have covered one up with a crocheted flower and will do similar for any more noticable ones. Hopefully it won't be more flowers than blanket!

SleepySuzy Thu 14-Jul-11 10:32:41

I might try again. I bought a scarf kit from a craft shop that was meant to be for beginners. The book looks good.

queenmaeve Thu 14-Jul-11 11:05:18

I just learnt this year and I love it. Once you master a few basic stitches there are lots of patterns that are just a variation of this.

Goldensnitchberry Thu 14-Jul-11 13:16:04

Ooh yes, I taught myself to knit and crochet recently too - weirdly satisfying isn't it? If you are doing granny squares, this is fab - so many designs and colour ideas. I want to make them all, but I'm very slow and also have umpteen knitting projects on the go!

cheesesarnie Thu 14-Jul-11 13:32:19

i find it relaxing.last xmas i had to do everything on the cheap.family loved theyre crochet gifts(they said grin)

FairyCake9 Thu 14-Jul-11 16:03:37

Congratulations! Personally i never had the patience to teach myself how to crochet! wink

herbietea Thu 14-Jul-11 16:06:19

Message withdrawn

DragonAlley Thu 14-Jul-11 18:31:12

The book is very clear and it has proper left handed instructions too if that is important for you!

I think that 200 squares book is in my local library. I got a couple out to flick through and "fun and funky crochet" looks good.

frazzledblob Thu 14-Jul-11 20:09:11

Well done!

I love crochet and can highly recommend the amigurumi books like this one
here

I really want to master knitting as I can only manage basic stitches. Can the knitters suggest any good books?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now