Talk

Advanced search

Making a play house similar to the Win Green cottages - help and advice needed

(9 Posts)
BernadetteRostenkowski Tue 12-Jul-11 21:58:06

I want to make a playhouse for my girls to play in and I was thinking of buying a set of poles from Win Green (here) and a set of connectors to use as my frame and then make a tent to fit over the frame. The frame would cost me £35 then there'd be the cost of the fabric but it would still be cheaper than the Win Green cottage for £235.

Has anyone done something like that? Any advice?

I'm fairly crafty though my sewing machine is on the way out so might need to find a new one for a big project like this.
Where could I go to get lovely fabrics for it? Are any online sites good or is just the local Dunelm?

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 01:45:21

Such a good idea. There are lots of sites where you can buy cheap fabric....you'll obviously want a lot for the base colour but for the additional details like window frames etc. I would buy cheap quilts or look in charity shops for fabric.

this site is good

moominthecorner Wed 13-Jul-11 08:05:32

What a great idea!!!!!!

BernadetteRostenkowski Wed 13-Jul-11 08:49:45

Can you recommend a sewing machine? Mine has died a death, it was an old 70s one I inherited. I could only really spend about £100 but was hoping to be able to afford a decent but basic one.

I was thinking about either this Brother one which I've found for £99 or this Singer for £90. Do you think they would be good enough?

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 08:54:20

That Brother one is like the one I have ordered! I just don't have 100 pounds so after YEARS of wanting a machine, I have ordered one from Littlwoods catalogue!

I think I will pay about 30 pounds more in the end....but it's a case of desperation! I can afford to pay a fiver a month but I simply never manage to keep 100 pounds for something like a machiine...even though it's going to end up saving me cash!

I think it looks fine....it's had good reviews...

BernadetteRostenkowski Wed 13-Jul-11 09:04:13

I thought it looked like a nice one. I've made about £100 selling things on ebay this week so fancy the idea of a new one. There are always so many things you can use a machine for. I really fancy having a go at one of these pillow case dresses here they look so cute and I have some fabric that would be really cute.

BernadetteRostenkowski Wed 13-Jul-11 09:07:28

Mumbling Only just looked at your link and it made me chuckle, I used to live about 5 miles away from the big Abakhan! It was excellent, didn't know they were online though.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 09:11:56

That's a great tutorial...I have made one of those before by hand! I must have been desperate! I can't wait for my machine as I can do cushions and dresses at last...without them taking days!

Last night I looked out all of my fabric in readiness!

With your tent thing, if I were you I would try to get something stronger than ordinary cottton...maybe a canvass or an upholtery fabric...or perhaps you could buy some of those painterscover-up sheets and dye them? They're strong if you get the good quality ones and its a lot of fabric for your money...you could dye it pink and use it for the base fabric.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 09:13:42

x posts Bernadette! Fancy you living near Abakhan! I live in cheshire and often go to the Welsh one and the one in Chester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now