Talk

Advanced search

The price of Craft magazines

(11 Posts)
pollyteapot Tue 12-Jul-11 14:54:25

Cripes. I never knew they were so expensive. I decided to try my hand at card making so went to WH Smiths to get a magzine. Well, they had loads so I felt I had to buy 2, just incase one was rubbish.

2 mags in hand, I spot a mag on stamping - another thing I've always wanted to try. So I head to the till, hand them over, and it comes to over £15 shock

Eh? i guess it serves me right for not looking at the prices, but that's a heck of a lot for just 3 mags.

I think that will be my last impulse craft purchase for a while wink

overmydeadbody Tue 12-Jul-11 17:28:55

Yeah, that is why I don't bother buying them.

There is loads more information online for free that you can access for crafts, including step by step instructions and tutorials and patterns, all for free.

The internet id your crafting friend. Use it. A good place to start is craftster.

aubergine70 Tue 12-Jul-11 17:33:00

If you subscribe for a year they work out a lot cheaper. Also some are available with Tescos clubcard points.

craftynclothy Tue 12-Jul-11 17:35:02

Yes, they are often v expensive. There is one craft mag that is £3.50 that I quite like atm.

There's also a market stall in Barnsley that sells old issues (and the odd current one) for £1 each so I occasionally go there and pick a few up.

pollyteapot Tue 12-Jul-11 17:45:11

Overmydeadbody - thanks for the link smile

Old issues would be great. I may see if my library has old issues.

I have found that crafting is rather an expensive hobby!

moominthecorner Tue 12-Jul-11 17:53:10

eBay is good for old editions. Some are available as digital versions which is cheaper. Knitting magazine has an app that comes in at £1.79 a copy. Bargain.

SewCrafty Tue 12-Jul-11 22:28:15

Our library stocks some crafty mags too, and sells them on (without the free gifts) 6 months later for pennies.

kellestar Thu 14-Jul-11 20:53:36

I tend to resell after I have photocopied gleened what I want from them. I subscribe to 3 magazines [gifts from lovely friends and family] and everyone knows so we often swap about]

pollyteapot Thu 14-Jul-11 22:13:29

Ido tend to be a bit of a magazine freak though, no idea why but i love them. These ones though are too pricey. I'll check oout the library at the weekend, but none of my friends are crafty, so it's just me on my lonesome sad

cloudpuff Sat 16-Jul-11 15:54:33

I bought a crochet one that comes with some bits of yarn and hooks and almost had heart failure when I realised it was £8.99. Tbh honest I could have bought a hook and a lot more yarn for that price, but I will say that the ones where you get a lot of free stuff are ideal for beginners as you can see if you enjoy the craft before buying everything.

pollyteapot Sat 16-Jul-11 20:34:59

Well, I'm off shopping tomorrow so I'll be looking for craft things to make cards. i think John Lewis has craft things, and will be nowhere near hobbycraft, so I'll make do with what I can find. Watch this space for my 1st attempt at making a card grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now