Talk

Advanced search

Any Ideas on Where I can Find This Fabric Please??

(9 Posts)
rockinhippy Tue 12-Jul-11 00:23:14

My favourite summer Gypsy top is on its last legs & I can't find anything similar to buy, so intend to take a pattern from it & make myself a few variations of it, but would really like to make some as near as damn it the same, but I just cannot find the fabric I need anywhere hmm

Its in a Cotton based cloth, with a deep embroidered, punched out border about 6 inches deep, a bit like Broiderie Anglais, but more floral/paisley & bigger pattern - doesn't have to be exact, but any nice self coloured cotton based cloth, with a deep embroidered punch out shaped border would work - especially in colours such as Black, deep blue, turquoise, red etc

Would anyone know of any reliable websites, where I can find something like this please??

TIA smile

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 00:33:57

If it's like this hem I think it's called cut work

Not sure but thought it might help to know it's called that (iyswim)

Can't find any fabric tho' sorry

zipzap Tue 12-Jul-11 00:38:50

Try eBay. They have loads of fabric on there, I've been getting curtain fabric, most of it really cheap (eg £10 instead of £40 a metre) and lots of the sellers seem to do dress fabric too.

rockinhippy Tue 12-Jul-11 01:02:33

Thanks Katy - though its not actually cut work - cut work doesn't have the embroidery, but it is similar, sadly you won't get cotton based cut work (needs to be min 50% polyester to work) or that would have been a really good idea as an alternative sad

I know it as a cotton embroidered punched border, or broiderie anglais border, but googling that gets me all sorts of things that aren't any thing like it sad

& Thanks zipzap but I've tried that already - lots of broidery anglais on there, but the only borders I could find were scallop trims sad

nothing similar in my local shops, or the websites I know either - I thought it would be easy this time of year too confused

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 07:20:33

I'm at the edges of my knowledge then

I used to do cut work (with an embroidered edge) & white work and drawn thread work; but I'm not getting where you are with this

Could you take a photo?

trumpton Tue 12-Jul-11 07:44:53

Have a mooch thro HERE grin

rockinhippy Tue 12-Jul-11 11:04:24

Thanks trumpton I will have a good mooch around that site, looks good even if I don't find what I'm looking for smile

Thinking on it again with a (slightly) clearer head this morning, you might well be right Katy - I was (somewhere back in my old life when I still had a braingrin) a Designer director & dealt with big cloth suppliers etc etc, so I'm using terms that I'm used too, but have realised over the years that a lot of things do differ from industry to craft terms IYSWIM - googling what I know it as keeps bringing up lists of trade suppliers, with min 1000m orders shock - so I will try your version too & see if I fair better with that

I will try & get a photo up on here in a minute & maybe you can tell me what is is called in non industry terms - IYSWIM smile

trumpton Tue 12-Jul-11 11:14:57

Not at all what you are looking for at the moment but LOOKIE HERE fab fabrics.

rockinhippy Tue 12-Jul-11 11:50:25

Thanks smile - I Love the retro section - bar parties its shame my DD is all emo goth these days hmm - no fun to make for anymore - reasonable prices too - shame so narrow, but still - I think I need a few new 50s style summer frocks too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now