Talk

Advanced search

Customising baby clothes...

(12 Posts)
Cattleprod Mon 11-Jul-11 14:40:24

I want to customise some baby clothes with dyes, iron-on transfers, fabric paints etc. for DC2 due in October. So I need some plain, inexpensive items of baby clothing with which to get creative!!

I know most of the supermarkets do the standard envelope-neck vests and front poppered sleepsuits, and wondered if anyone has found one particular brand better than others. Also I'd like some short sleeved, short legged rompers for next summer - any ideas where to get these?

Any other suggestions of sources of plain babywear in different styles at a reasonable price, or tips from people who have customised baby clothes will be gratefully received!! smile

Cattleprod Mon 11-Jul-11 18:56:29

Anybody?

PrettyPirate Tue 12-Jul-11 14:16:23

Only thing I can remember is Mothercare envelope-neck bodysuits aren't good - the neck is really wide and my DS shoulders were out all the time. Don't know about supermarket ones.. I've found Gap ones the best but they're bit pricey and I can't actually remember seeing plain ones. H&M has good selection of different colour plain t-shirts, not sure about bodysuits. HTH!

Cattleprod Tue 12-Jul-11 16:28:07

Thanks Pirate - all our local mothercares have closed down so won't be going there anyway! I'll try H&M - hadn't thought of them.

Whenisitmysleepytime Tue 12-Jul-11 20:19:47

sainsburys are good imo. their clothes don't seem to stretch or lose shape like the mothercare ones i had for ds. they've lasted just as well as next/ m&s.

i've just recycled a blue knitted hoody from ds for dd. it now had two knitted flowers on it and looks super cute and girly! [smug face]

Cattleprod Wed 13-Jul-11 08:24:51

Thanks sleepy - we've got a Sainsburys so I'll try there too.

I'd love to do more customising, but we don't know if we're having a boy or a girl - if baby is a little girl I'll be able to have loads of fun making DS's old clothes a bit more feminine! For now I'll stick to funky unisex stuff!

Has anyone tried Matalan sleepsuits? I hear they have the hand flaps that were really useful last time.

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 13-Jul-11 08:44:14

careful with the hand flaps - as a mum of two cubby children they make the cuffs tighter (well next ones anyhow) and for poor ds i had to cut the sleeves to get him into the sleep suits!
Sainsburys sleeps suits we have for dd have the hand flaps/ built in scratch mits - i have to stretch the cuffs before i put them on her of she gets stuck!

IvyAndGold Wed 13-Jul-11 09:25:59

you can never go wrong with ebay, surely? wink

Cattleprod Wed 13-Jul-11 09:32:01

I looked for rompers on ebay but they were all either patterned or some designer brand for silly money. I'm hoping one of the supermarkets or budget shops do a pack of them like they do with vests, sleepsuits etc. Haven't come across any yet though...

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 13-Jul-11 10:12:46

where are you based cattleprod? i have a bin bag full of neutral stuff to get rid of. sized up to 3 months.
it would be daft to post it though i'm guessing.
pm me if you're near avon.

Cattleprod Wed 13-Jul-11 10:20:01

That's very kind of you sleepy, but I'm on the south coast, so nowhere near avon.

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 13-Jul-11 10:40:18

ah never mind. i'm going to drop it off at charity shop/ salvation army bin when i can be bothered. maybe trawl your local charity shops or ask them to give you a ring if a job lot comes in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now