Talk

Advanced search

Where can I have a mirror cut to size?

(9 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Mon 04-Jul-11 10:11:45

Not sure whether this is quite the right place blush but anyway ... DH bought me a lovely driftwood frame with a mirror in it. Mirror arrived smashed to bits. Meh. I have a piece of mirror which is only going to go in the bin but is too big for the frame so would like to get it cut to size but have literally no idea where or how to have this done. Any suggestions gratefully received smile

Blottedcopybook Mon 04-Jul-11 11:14:42

It could be worth giving your local glazer a call? If they can't help you, chances are they'll know someone who can. Just to warn you though, it will probably not be cost-effective doing it that way because the glass will need to be sealed & finished as well as cut.

I hope this isn't too "helpy" but if someone had bought a gift like that for me, I'd be very upset if it arrived broken and I'd be contacting the seller to have the mirror replaced.

Cattleprod Mon 04-Jul-11 11:22:44

Any glazier, stained glass artist or independent double glazing company should be able to do it for you, they will probably only charge you a couple of pounds but won't be able to guarantee that your glass won't break when they cut it as old mirror can sometimes be a bit temperemental! If it does break then a new piece of mirror will cost around £40-50 per square metre (£4-5 per square foot).

If it's to go in a frame then you don't need to worry about edge finishing as all edges will be covered by the frame. I'm not sure what Blotted means about sealing and finishing confused.

Blottedcopybook Mon 04-Jul-11 11:30:41

I wanted to get some glass cut for a frame and was told it would need sealed & finished, I know very little about glass unfortunately!

Cattleprod Mon 04-Jul-11 11:46:10

Was it very old mirror Blotted? The silvering on Victorian mirrors can become fragile and need a protective coating, or resilvering. Finishing I guess they mean the edges - bevelling etc. I think the OP just wants a plain piece of mirror for her frame, which shouldn't be too expensive. smile

Although if her DH bought it from a company, rather than an artist, ebay etc., it might be worth contacting them for a replacement.

Cattleprod Mon 04-Jul-11 11:48:26

Was it very old mirror Blotted? The silvering on Victorian mirrors can become fragile and need a protective coating, or resilvering. Finishing I guess they mean the edges - bevelling etc. I think the OP just wants a plain piece of mirror for her frame, which shouldn't be too expensive. smile

Although if her DH bought it from a company, rather than an artist, ebay etc., it might be worth contacting them for a replacement.

DitaVonCheese Mon 04-Jul-11 13:42:22

Thanks all, will try to find someone local who can help. Haven't been here very long so don't know the area brilliantly but will do some googling.

I've actually had the frame for a while blush just got fed up of looking at it sitting on one side waiting for me to deal with it. I think DH did contact them and they might have refunded him or something but from memory it was something like a charity providing employment for vulnerable people or something. They only wrapped it in a few sheets of newspaper confused

DitaVonCheese Mon 04-Jul-11 13:52:00

Forgot to say, did find someone online who would do the mirror for £2.30 - but another £24 P+P!

Blottedcopybook Fri 08-Jul-11 21:58:35

Cattleprod - actually, yes now you mention it! It was a vintage mirror that was all cracked at the edges but it was definitely a battered old thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now