Talk

Advanced search

<takes deep breath> I think I'd like to make some stuff to sell...

(15 Posts)
Bumperlicioso Sat 02-Jul-11 14:44:08

So, I dabble a little in various crafts, mainly crochet and some sewing. I've got some bits on my profile just examples of what I can do.

I was at a school fete today and there were a few women there who were selling some of their stuff, and I think I can compete with them. The thing is I do lots of things but it's a bit aimless. I'm not a natural completer-finisher so I need a goal, something to aim for. I thought if I could just pick four or five things and perfect them I could try and sell them.

I go back to work (part time) in three weeks, which obviously doesn't sound like a good time to start this, but actually when I decided this (about half and hour ago while I was feeding the baby) it made me really happy smile. I don't think I am going to make a living out of this or anything, but I'd like my hobby to be goal-directed, and at least pay for itself!

I go to a knitting group and some of the women their sell at craft fairs etc but their stuff is really good and I'm not intending to do that (yet). What is the best way to sell stuff apart from craft fairs?

What are the best sort of things to sell? I want stuff I can perfect and make really easily but still be creative, so I was thinking, for the winter, crocheted (and perhaps embellished) fingerless gloves, cloth baby shoes (not sure if I posted some on my profile). But not sure what else to sell. I'd like to make stuff that is functional.

Anyone got any tips for selling stuff? Am I jumping into a saturated market or a cliche?

overthemill Sat 02-Jul-11 15:12:11

etsy
someone i know makes 4 or 5 different kinds of things ans sells on there.
also has a blog.
makes some money, not much but some

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 02-Jul-11 15:14:20

I've been interested in this too but need to get my lazy arse together.

Mine is food based, but not darn cupcakes. wink

I have a thread on watch hold on I'll find it.

smile

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 02-Jul-11 15:14:43

I am interested. ffs.

[grr]

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 02-Jul-11 15:17:29

Such is my lethargy, I've only read the first few posts, but it may be of interest to you Bumper.

smile

Bumperlicioso Sat 02-Jul-11 15:33:23

Thanks chaos, I was looking for that thread. What would you like to make? The difficulty with food I suppose is it's more immediate, you can't build up a stock.

Bumperlicioso Sat 02-Jul-11 15:38:17

The difficulty with etsy is that I imagine most of the people who purchase from there are also crafters, and while I'm sure that gives them a more realistic idea of the work that goes into hand crafted items I also imagine there is very much an 'I could make that' mentality.

coldcomfortHeart Sat 02-Jul-11 19:47:59

I've actually found that crafty people are actually more likely to buy, because like you say they appreciate hand made things.

There is folksy as well, which is smaller than etsy.

Bumperlicioso Sat 02-Jul-11 21:32:06

I suppose that's true. Any tips on what sort of items to sell?

pollyteapot Sun 03-Jul-11 09:21:20

I sell at craft fairs and my first tip would be to make sure you are passionate about what you make as that will show in the end product, how you come across at fairs etc. I've been at topo many fairs where the vendor sits on their backside and interacts so little. And then they wonder why they sell so little.

What to sell, again sell what you like to make. There is a big thing for handmade textiles. Lots of nice patterns around.

I only sold one thing on Folksy, not tried etsy yet but I am going to give it a go soon.

Think ahead for Xmas time - there are loads of school fairs where you can a fair bit nad remember at these fairs to have small priced things for kids wink.

pollyteapot Sun 03-Jul-11 09:29:46

oops, sorry, just re-read your post and saw the bit about you not wanting to do craft fairs.

There is always Facebook - set up a business page alongside your personal page and put up pics and info every now and then. you can set up a shop on this page too and sell that way. try to get lots of likers.

I have found though that fairs at the best way for me to sell thing atm, and that FB helps maintain a presence, if that makes sense.

coldcomfortHeart Sun 03-Jul-11 11:14:37

yes a web presence really is important I think. I have a blog and am thinking about a folksy/etsy shop too (once DS2 is a bit older, he's only 2 weeks old at the moment!)

Any sort of internet exposure is good in my opinion, I've had a few orders from people who have just come across my blog, and it's good to have a website on your business cards. I use wordpress, which took a while to get to grips with, I think blogspot is meant to be easier at first but more limiting later when you want to add things.

I second the 'make what you like' approach. The booties and teepee on your profile are lovely!

I recommend this book so often I should get commission, but The Handmade Marketplace, although American, is a really good resource.

Good luck!

moominthecorner Sun 03-Jul-11 21:32:13

Hi. What about selling patterns on Etsy and ravelry? Your stuff is v good and things like the gingerbread mitts wld be popular I'm sure. You cld sell readymade alongside.

moominthecorner Mon 04-Jul-11 11:02:38

Congratulations coldcomfort!!!!!!!! hope all is well!

coldcomfortHeart Mon 04-Jul-11 19:26:49

Aw thanks moomininthecorner! He took his time but arrived in the end... slowed down on the crafting front- had crazy hopes to do a christmas craft fair this year

pfffff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now