Talk

Advanced search

What can I make for my first son to be born in sept?

(17 Posts)
LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 01-Jul-11 06:53:43

So I challenge you to show things I can make for my son who is due in sept. Mainly taking about sewing, my knitting is very poor confused

so come on ladies what have you got bookmarked that I could make?

Tia

missmapp Fri 01-Jul-11 06:58:35

No crafty ideas Im afraid, but this reminded me of a good friend who started a cross stitch to celebrate fer sons birth, he has just turned 12 and she recently texted me to say she had finished it !!

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 01-Jul-11 07:43:34

Pmsl, that'll probably be me smile

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Fri 01-Jul-11 07:44:31

Crochet blanket? Crochet is easy.

SydSaid Fri 01-Jul-11 07:46:07

A little baby sleeping bag?
Cuddly toy?
A baby quilt?

SydSaid Fri 01-Jul-11 07:47:56

Sleepsack pattern here: www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sleepsack.html

OnlyWantsOne Fri 01-Jul-11 07:48:25

Bunting for his room, nappy holder that hangs on cot, curtains etc smile

Pleiades45 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:18:21

I have done xstitch birth samplers for all my children and their cousins. I also got some bob the builder squares and made a small patchwork blanket which I used when out and about. I'd put it on the floor if I wasn't sure of the floor and wanted to put baby down for a wriggle. It doubled up for the pushchair too and is now a much loved item in the toy box.

jjgirl Wed 06-Jul-11 13:18:54

what did i make for my son around the time he was born?

i little fleecy suit in camo print
25 resuable nappies (did 25 a year latter as bum got bigger)
2 nappy free time rugs
sheets for crib
nappy holder
a few stretchy tops and pants with name on them
bamboo fabric pants for sensative skin
a couple of fleecy hats

have made loads more for him as time went on. oh and yess i work full time as well.

enjoyingscience Wed 06-Jul-11 18:22:14

I made my DS a blanket with cotton on one side and fleece on the other - he was a November baby so liked the idea of something cosy. Maybe too easy, but incredibly handy - we used it loads.

Made simple tab top curtains for his room too, as I couldn't seem to find anything I liked! (So maybe that was more for me than him blush)

I also did a few cross stitch pictures, though now I am no longer hormonal, they look a bit schmaltzy! Must pick nicer patterns next time.

jjgirl do you have a nappy pattern? (even though DS is potty trained and I'm not pregnant, just really interested!)

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Thu 07-Jul-11 05:48:33

Wow some amazing ideas love the sleeping bag link defo want to have a go that thanks syd!

JJ love the fleecey suit and the nappy free rugs do you have any links?

Thanks everyone lots to keep me busy!

Fuchzia Thu 07-Jul-11 06:20:55

sock owl mobile

I made this for DS which he loves. Didn't buy the pattern. It was easy to figure out after a bit of fiddling.

AnnetteTwitcher Tue 12-Jul-11 06:38:26

Ive made ds2 some cute little 'skibs' style teething bandanas and with offcuts matching bow-ties for ds1!

V easy and cheaper than buying. All u need is your choice of top fabric, some light interlining type stuff and nice soft flannel for the backing. Have also made these as gifts for friends and trimmed with lovely vintage lace/ribbon.

X

My sewing always takes too long. I knitted DS a blanket, which turned out to be waaaaayyy too big for him (wasn't thinking straight, of course 7 large balls of wool were going to make an enormous thing! it's a rainbow blanket) and a knitted koala. I was going to do a knitted bird as well but MIL took over that project sad as she was bored and needed something to do in November in England (she had come over from Australia for 2m) while I went 2w overdue and couldn't go out too much.

nappy patterns for whoever wanted them

openerofjars Tue 12-Jul-11 07:31:25

Yyy to crochet blanket: DS loves his blanket and it was easy making it square by square. Loads easier and quicker than knitting. I got the yarn off eBay in bags of similar colours.

scaryfairy28 Thu 14-Jul-11 16:17:55

How about a scrapbook much easier if you can't sew!

Sleepyspaniel Tue 19-Jul-11 22:40:26

A patchwork cot quilt, even a basic one looks great, you can personalise it with sewing or writing a message in laundry pen. Nice for the nursery and good for toddler/child to lug around/cold journeys in the car etc and in the future it's a family heirloom smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now