Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried a john lewis £59 sewing machine?

(8 Posts)
LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Wed 29-Jun-11 18:41:55

So am a beginner and wondering if this is a good way to start. Have you tried one?

ThunderboltKid Wed 29-Jun-11 18:45:33

I got one for Christmas. It's purple; I love it! I was a complete beginner and it's been great because it's so simple, but works really well. So far ive only made cushion covers and curtains, but it's handled a wide range of materials, some quite thick, without any problems at all.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 29-Jun-11 18:48:10

Ooooh heck. I want one now grin.

£59 you say?

<plans shopping trip tomorrow>

Blottedcopybook Wed 29-Jun-11 19:11:06

I'm really wary of them, to be honest. I bought one for my sister-in-law and it just felt so flimsy and lightweight that I was seriously worried about it. I don't like that the foot is attached to the machine either. Personally I'd avoid it and get a basic entry-level sewing machine but I'm happy to admit that I am undoubedtly biased as I sell sewing machines for a living!

RachelHRD Wed 29-Jun-11 19:19:50

Ooh have been wanting to get a simple sewing machine for ages and that looks fab. Now red or fuschia hmm....

RunsWithScissors Wed 29-Jun-11 19:55:08

I have one, and it's been surprisingly good. I feared it might be flimsy or not very useful, but I've hemmed things (include jeans), sewed a purse and various curtains. Didn't think it would be very robust (had a "proper" machine but had to leave it with an overseas move).

Not bad for it's price.

JemimaMop Wed 29-Jun-11 20:02:13

I have one and it is great. I don't do major sewing jobs, but it is great for running up clothes for DD, putting zips in etc.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Wed 29-Jun-11 20:09:26

Blotted what would you recommend?

Everyone else thanks that's exactly the sort of stuff I'm wanting to do, not sure I'm going to be able to resist grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now