Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever thought of making 0 tog grobags for the summer?

(21 Posts)
MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 08:48:58

Was looking at this this thread and thought that it would be fab to have a sheet turned into a grobag.

So that the baby is covered and isn't cold when the temp goes down, but not too warm and in danger of overheating.

Does that kind of thing exist?

TrilllianAstra Tue 28-Jun-11 08:51:19

Emperor's New Clothes?

If something has 0 togs then it doesn't exist grin

Boozilla Tue 28-Jun-11 08:54:09

Don't they exist already? I'm sure I've got one upstairs. It was basically a sheet grobag.

I'll see if I can dig it out!

Cies Tue 28-Jun-11 08:55:43

I took my winter grobag plus an old sheet to a lady who sews really well and she made me one, for 12 euros. Pity that ds had a real growth spurt before the summer arrived and now doesn't fit in it!

ICouldHaveWrittenThis Tue 28-Jun-11 08:56:05

I think there are 0.5 tog grobags, basically one layer, very thin.

MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 08:56:22

No idea if they exist, but there are always threads on here from new mums worried about their 0.5 tog grobag being too warm. So they should exist.

Good name. Emperor's New Grobag with 0 Togs

MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 08:58:03

See, for me even the 0.5 tog grobag was too warm in summer. Well, for the DC. Not for me.

We lived in Germany where summer temps were often over 30°C for weeks though.

But if you can make one for about a tenner - as Cies said, then that would be a good seller, I think.

TrilllianAstra Tue 28-Jun-11 08:58:31

(disclaimer, this grobag actually has 0.01 togs, if it had true 0 togs it would have to be 0 mm thick and weigh 0 grams)

silverfrog Tue 28-Jun-11 08:58:33

the summer weight grobags are the equivalent of a sheet, aren;t they?

I had some fab ones for dd1 when she was a tiny baby and we were in africa - nappy and sheet-like grobag, and job done.

MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 08:59:55

I don't know, Silverfrog. The summer one I had was too warm for my DC.

I used to cover them with a sheet then sleep really badly, worrying if they had covered themselves with the sheet.

We had a light one, but it was still too hot for the hottest nights.

BirdyBedtime Tue 28-Jun-11 09:00:13

I used 0.5 tog sleeping bags for both DCs in the very height of summer and on holiday for the very reason the OP stated - I hate the idea of them not being covered at all and in case it does slightly cool during the night. They are essentially just sheet thickness so can't imagine why someone would post that it could be too hot. As Trillian said 0 tog is air! IIRC I got mine from John Lewis. DS is recently out of sleeping bags, when I went in this morning he was lying with his sheet at the bottom of the bed and completely uncovered. Doesn't seem to have bothered him!

MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 09:04:40

Maybe mine wasn't 0.5 tog then - I bought a "summer" one and it was too warm. Never looked at tog ratings, as we don't use them in Germany.

silverfrog Tue 28-Jun-11 09:06:17

I posted on the other thread, too, Mmelindor. I think the sweaty head (disclaimer: in an otherwise healthy, happy baby, etc etc - DO NOT IGNORE OVERHEATING BABIES) thing is a red herring. most cot mattresses are plastic backed - anyone would get a sweaty head sleeping on one, even in winter (my two did).

trunk/core body temp is what you should go by.

the lightest grobags are the equivalent of a sheet, and have extra big armholes etc to encourage airflow, but obviously they cannot be kicked off (as there is nothing worse than waking freezing cold at 2am!)

I also agree with what you said on the other thread re: how to cool a room off. a lot of people just don't know when to open windows/not open windows to keep the house at its coolest. opening them in the middle of the dya when temps are roasting (inside and out) is not going to help. up early, get the windows open for a bit, to get nice early morning cool air in, then shut in the heat, and open again at night - with shutters ideally, so you can keep the windows open.

I think, given the summers (when they arrive!) are reasonably regularly hot in the uk now, there shoudl be a lot of education done on this.

ICouldHaveWrittenThis Tue 28-Jun-11 09:21:50

We had a proper grobag 0.5 one that was jersey material and I suppose it would have been too warm in this weather.

IIRC we used one from mothercare when it was really hot, just cotton and much cooler

prolificwillybreeder Tue 28-Jun-11 14:19:57

We have a sheet one from Gro. I also saw in JoJo Maman Bebe they do them too.
If I didn't have my little helper DS I would run another up as having a spare would be handy.
Unfortuntely having a nearly 1 year old and a bump too big to get near enough to the table I have to settle my need to sew by sewing buttons back on DP's shirt hmm

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 01-Jul-11 06:49:13

A 0 tog would be a bargin at £0 grin

op you can get the tog rated ones in 2.5, 1, and 0.5. You can also buy some that don't actually have a rating.

kellestar Fri 01-Jul-11 08:39:35

The grobag summer weight are 1 tog, two sheets.

If i was havibg one made, i would want a two way zip, undoing tge bottom a bit so everytime DD kicked she'd introduce some cool air. (it's what I do in the summer with my duvet as I can't sleep with a sheet blanket as I fidget too much and get tangled.

Can't jyst use sheets or blankets as DD is a fidget and always kucks them off and wakes cold.

MmeLindor. Fri 01-Jul-11 09:32:41

Lovebeing
My dc are (almost) 7 an 9 yo. grin

I started the thread cause I wondered if anyone makes really light ones cause if you could sew (which I can't) I think they would be easy to make and good sellers in his weather. Or for people going on holiday to warmer climates.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 01-Jul-11 10:37:52

I get that but zero tog means not covered surely? Was just saying you can get 0.5 togs as well.

trifling Fri 01-Jul-11 10:41:54

Pillowcases work pretty well.

ceebeegeebies Fri 01-Jul-11 10:45:43

I definitely had a 0.5 one for one of my DS's (can't remember where I got it from though as it was probably about 4 years ago).

Can you not just put them in a babygro and not put any covers on them at all when it is really hot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now