Talk

Advanced search

Crochet - totally new to it

(8 Posts)
SleepyFergus Fri 24-Jun-11 17:00:17

I really love the look of crochet but not sure where to begin. I'd live to make a granny square afghan blanket but is that too ambitious?

Anyone recommend any books also?

There are night classes I think where i am but they've stopped now for tbe summer so would be going it alone to start with.

Thanks

moominthecorner Fri 24-Jun-11 20:49:09

Try this book I love it

Bumperlicioso Fri 24-Jun-11 20:53:22

I've just bought that moomin smile

Fergus, crochet is fab, but it does help to have someone show you the basics. Could you find a knitting group near you? Or try you tube for videos.

moominthecorner Fri 24-Jun-11 21:08:37

Glad u got it bump it really is brilliant

kellestar Sat 25-Jun-11 13:12:09

I got this book out the library and found it really good inspiration for blocks for blankets. I self taught myself using a variety of books from the library. This book has the basics and simple blocks to start with. It's nice to try different squares, or pick a few basic squares and use some different colour yarns. If you are looking at doing granny squares these are probably the easiest to start with and really make a lovely cosy blanket.

If you need some tuition or advice, why don't you try popping along to your local yarn shop and seeing if anyone there can give you advice, or point you in the direction of your local group. I am based in NE Somerset and happy to give a helping hand.

Classes are great as they will build your skills, provided they are reasonably priced. A local school to us offer evening classes on a 6 week rotation, I used to go for the social aspect more than learning new things, it turned into a Knit and Natter with classes as well as so many students didn't want to leave and for £3 a week you had a tea/coffee and a biscuit.

moominthecorner Sat 25-Jun-11 18:31:52

bump always says that's a good one and she's a crochet diva!

queenmaeve Sat 25-Jun-11 18:44:56

I only started in march and I love it. I went to a class, all pensioners and me! Once you master a few basic stitches you can do so much. There is also a good magazine with dvd that was out, you'd get it on ebay.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 25-Jun-11 20:35:30

not too ambitious at all. I learned a couple of weeks ago from a book and was able to start making granny squares by day 2.
granny squares
It is very addictive!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: