Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been on a sewing course in north/central London?

(4 Posts)
stclair Thu 23-Jun-11 15:39:04

and would you recommend it? I'm a complete beginner, by the way, although have made cushions some years ago!

3Questionmarks Thu 23-Jun-11 19:35:52

Morley College (SE1) courses are good - they have some fab one-day taster things, usually at weekend. The longer courses are good too, but it can be a hassle to get onto at beginners level, especially for the Autumn term.

I definitely improved technically as a result. Although in teaching me to be a bit less rough'n'ready, I'm probably a bit less inclined to be inspired just go for it, than I used to be; which is a shame. Although I make fewer, hem-hem, unique fashion disasters pieces

bigkidsmademe Thu 23-Jun-11 19:40:34

It's not really central but I'm doing some day courses at Oh Sew Brixton and they are fab! I've done the beginning day where we made a bag and learnt cutting out patterns, embroidery stitching etc. Then alterations, seams and hems etc. Next up is te make a skirt day and then wardrobe cloning course, where you take a skirt or dress you love and they show you how to copy it in different fabrics. There is a six week dressmaking course that I'd love to do but can't commit to, and cushion making and jersey dress making that look interesting.

And I swear I don't work for them smile

sis Thu 23-Jun-11 19:51:56

I haven't been but John Lewis department store run courses for all levels. I have a feeling that they are free but can't remember for certain as I researched it a while ago for someone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now