Talk

Advanced search

first quilt

(9 Posts)
griffalo2 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:59:50

Im at the point of sewing the three layers together (by hand) but im finding it really difficult and fiddley,ive unpicked it 3 times because im just not happy with it.its comes out untidy and wonky on back.
How is the best way to do it?
Im using running stitch,is that wrong?
Help,ive done too much work on it to throw it in the cupboard and forget about

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 21:23:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LatteLady Mon 20-Jun-11 21:47:08

Running stitch is definitely what you should be using. Have you basted the quilt before before you started?

And you most definitely need a frame to hold your work taut as you sew it.

Finally, you also need to practice your stitching, because we all do so little hand sewing it takes a little time to get into the rhythm of doing small neat stitches.

griffalo2 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:55:17

I dont know what basting is? Frame? Argh im lost....

My stitching seems ok,i stitched all the patchwork pieces together by hand and its quite neat ( im a fussy person,one stitch wrong needs to be done again)
Ive pinned it all together,not safety pins though

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 21:57:26

griffalo2 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:08:33

Ah right,i was having visions of a great big frame the size of the quilt,i have a smallish one,probably wont be any good.

Rumpelstiltskinshat Mon 20-Jun-11 22:10:36

moominthecorner Mon 20-Jun-11 23:08:08

I use spray fabric glue rather than basting - 505 glue is the best. I tried using a frame but can't get on with them. Most do though. Also I spend ages smoothing the layers to avoid wrinkles. Then I glue. Good luck.

griffalo2 Tue 21-Jun-11 12:17:52

Right think ive got a better idea now thank u all for replies.
Videos were bit confusing for me because im left handed,got general idea though.
Be grateful for more tips if anyone has any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now