Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine stiches.

(6 Posts)

On my sewing machine I have a buttonhole sewing setting but it's not big enough for what I need (i.e. a strap hole rather than a button hole) which stich can I use to ensure the raw edge of the hole doesn't fray?

TIA

lettinggo Wed 15-Jun-11 22:18:14

Use a really tight satin stitch. Can you change your stitch length on your machine? If so, set it at its shortest length and that should do it for you. It's essentially the same as buttonhole.

Thank you will try that.

LatteLady Fri 17-Jun-11 14:31:00

Are you using an automatic buttonholer? If yes, then sew up the side seam remove the largest button it will take (usually step 2), move the buttonhole foot back to the beginning, pop in the button again, repeat until you have the size you desire. Repeat again on step 4

Thanks for all that, one further question opening the buttonhole using a seam ripper seems to be the general method but I find it leaves the material fraying and untidy - what am I doing wrong?

Blottedcopybook Sun 19-Jun-11 22:44:57

Nothing, that's an unfortunate side effect of using a seam ripper. Better to use a craft knife if you have one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now