Talk

Advanced search

Left-handed/right-handed knitting and crocheting

(10 Posts)
PrettyCandles Tue 14-Jun-11 21:06:33

I am right-handed. When I knit I transfer the work from the left needle to the right needle, and feed the yarn through the fingers of my right hand. When I crochet I hold the hook in my right hand and feed the yarn through the fingers of my left hand.

How differently do left-handed knitters and crocheters do it?

sallyanny Wed 15-Jun-11 14:05:37

I'm left-handed and I knit the same way as you, as I was taught by my right-handed granny. I don't know how to crochet.

soggybottomflancase Wed 15-Jun-11 14:36:47

Left handers do the opposite, think about which actions need the most dexterity (is that how you spell it) in crochet it's the hand with the hook that does the most work, in knitting it's the wrapping of the yarn around the needle.

PrettyCandles Wed 15-Jun-11 15:42:39

So if a left-hander twines the wool in her left hand, does she still transfer the work from left needle to right needle?

(reassuring, Sallyanny, as ds is LH and the only LHer in any of our families, and I'm never sure whether - or even how - to accommodate his handedness when teaching him to do things.)

Seeline Wed 15-Jun-11 15:49:53

My Mum is an avid knitter and very left-handed, but she taught herself to knit right-handed. Otherwise when you follow a knitting pattern oyu have to reverse all the instructions which is very complicated. I think she crochets right handed too as she taught me and I do the same as you do!

PrettyCandles Wed 15-Jun-11 16:31:33

That was going to be my next question! grin

Imnotaslimjim Wed 15-Jun-11 16:34:53

I'm a leftie, but knit like a right hander. A few people tried to teach me how a leftie should do it and I could never manage it. Earlier this year I just followed a friend as she knitted and I've nearly finished my first cardi for DD

nickelbabe Wed 15-Jun-11 17:19:44

I do it right-handed too, except I usually use my left-hand to do all the work - when I knit, I've found I hold the right hand needle with the end in my lap ,and the left hand does all the pulling, pushing, threading grin

wednesday13 Fri 17-Jun-11 23:35:45

I am not left handed myself, but I've known both mirror-image knitters and those who knit normally but use their left hand to do much more of the manoevring, continental style. The second way is how I'm trying to teach my LH DS. I guess different methods suit different people. If you sit in a room with 10 people knitting, every one will be knitting slightly differently.

jenniec79 Sun 19-Jun-11 18:21:00

I'm right handed

I knit the same way as the OP, but for crochet I hold the hook and yarn in my right hand and the fabric in my left. I've never seen anyone else crochet like this and have been told I do it wrong!

Results look ok to me though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now