Talk

Advanced search

I need a new sewing machine

(5 Posts)
NinjaChipmunk Sat 04-Jun-11 22:27:00

My birthday is coming up and I would like to buy a new sewing machine, roughly about £80 - £100 budget. My current singer is about 45 years old, its foot shorted out and it needs a total service so I think for the money it is worth getting a newer one. I'd be using it for duvet covers, clothes alterations, making bags etc, nothing too heavy duty.
Please tell me what you have and how well you rate it as I don't know where to start!

PrinceHumperdink Sun 05-Jun-11 08:07:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NinjaChipmunk Sun 05-Jun-11 09:03:47

Lovely thanks, will have a look at the forum.
I thought this singer looked simple and robust, like you i think basic is great, but it has to do its stuff very well and this looks welled reviewed on other sites. I'll have a look at some Brother and Janome ones too I think. I may come back with a shortlist and see what people think from that.

Needle Mon 06-Jun-11 20:45:03

Hi NinjaChimpunk. My first "modern" sewing machine was a Huskystar- they're like Husqurvana Viking's cheaper little sister. They're nice little machines, although if I had to make a critisism it's that they feel rather light, and don't have the reassuring weight of dearer machines, but if your'e looking for something on a low budget, you could do far worse than one of those. If you do decide to extend your budget, I and my mother before me have always sworn by Pfaff- they're in credibly reliable and the modern ones have some incredible features, but I don't know what their lower end models are like.
Good luck finding something you like!

NinjaChipmunk Mon 06-Jun-11 21:08:47

thanks for the info, I'm still researching it at the mo. And looking at as many places as possible to buy from. I'm getting quite excited and its not my birthday for another 2 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now