Talk

Advanced search

Help needed - crochet pattern for post mastectomy boob

(10 Posts)
SoriaMoria Tue 24-May-11 14:01:17

Hi

I hope someone can help me with this. My mum has to have a mastectomy in the next few weeks. Thankfully for non aggressive cancer so we're hopeful that the prognosis is good but after the initial shock thoughts have obviously turned to practicalities. I'd never even realised that knitting or crocheting a prostethic was such a good idea but my Mum is very keen that I crochet one - probably more - for her. I'm obviously happy to do this but what I need is a reliable pattern.

So, lovely fellow crafters, does anyone have a crochet pattern to share? I've found 2 online which look useful but if anyone can recommend one that would be brilliant. Also any thoughts on types of yarn (softer best presumably?) and filling would be gratefully received.

Thanks so much in advance

KurriKurri Tue 24-May-11 19:14:00

Hi Soria - what a great idea! - I've had a mastectomy and had never thought of crocheted/ knitted prostheses. I can only find a pattern for a knitted one I'm afraid - no crochet ones. It is here in case its of any interest to you.

For wool definitely something soft - the skin over your scar remains sensitive for quite a while afterwards, -especially if you also have radiotherapy. I'd go for a soft cotton yarn, or I've used Debbie bliss Cashmerino on another project and I think that would be a good one to try, its very soft.

Just in case your mum wasn't aware, if you are in Uk she will be given a soft fabric prosthesis and a little later a heavier silicone one by her hospital. (Sorry if you know this, but it crossed my mind that perhaps she was unaware and that's why she asked you to make one smile)

I do think a knitted or crocheted one sound lovely though - I'm inspired to have a go for myself smile

Best wishes to your mum for her operation and recovery.

KurriKurri Tue 24-May-11 19:16:29

Oh for filling I would just use standard toy stuffing. Although if you wanted something with a bit more weight, you could possibly line the crocheted breast with fabric and fill it with those little plastic beans you can get for making beanie baby type toys.

SoriaMoria Wed 25-May-11 02:17:47

Thanks so much Kurri. That's really helpful. She's not in the UK so I'm not sure how things will work but all tips and information very gratefully received. I love the cashmerino so may try that. Good thought about the plastic beads. I've also found a pattern suggesting that but am assuming that will be a little bit further down the line?

Thanks again for your help.

KurriKurri Wed 25-May-11 08:47:44

Yes a little bit further on, - here in the UK they recommend waiting about ten weeks before trying anything too heavy. I have a prosthesis I use for swimming which is made of fabric and filled with plastic beans - good because it doesn't get waterlogged - I think one of those would be pretty straightforward to make if you like sewing smile Its just two circle sewn together and stuffed and it falls naturally into a breast shape.

SpawnChorus Wed 25-May-11 09:50:57

How about a silk yarn? I stumbled across a bit of pure silk dk (rowan, I think) in my yarn stash and it would feel lovely next to the skin.

trice Wed 25-May-11 10:59:44

I have had a mx too. And I love to knit and crochet but the thought of something that textured against my op site makes me wince. I would suggest that you use soft jersey fabric for the back if you can then knit the top. Or just make her a lovely bunch of flowers.

I made some little delicate crochet things to attach to my bra to cover the place where my cleavage used to be a bit like this.

SoriaMoria Wed 25-May-11 13:03:18

Thanks everyone. Your comments are really appreciated. Trice - really good thought about the feel. Mum's obviously not thinking about that at the moment. She may not even want to use a crocheted prosthesis but I reckon the ones I've found won't take long and as she's asked me to make them I think I'll make a couple so she has them.

The cami inserts are also something we would never have thought of and also something I can do. My mum is actually a tailor and fabulous with all things crafty but she's only just been diagnosed so it's obviously a bit of a roller coaster and she doesn't feel she has the attention span to sit down and create.

Thanks again

woollyideas Wed 25-May-11 23:01:26

Knitted breast here:
knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html

Bumperlicioso Sat 02-Jul-11 13:34:02

Just found this thread as I was browsing. I've just crocheted a couple of boobs which are on my profile. If you are still interested I can find you the pattern, it was really easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now