Talk

Advanced search

Crochet help

(12 Posts)
alfiemama Mon 23-May-11 13:27:29

I really want to make my dd some of the cute crochet shoes patterns available (the more structured ones) but I just can't seem to get my counting right.

I always thought I could crochet enough to get by but I must be going wrong somewhere so I found a pattern video on you tube by shy rainbow but when she tells you to count, I have a different amount of stitches.

alfiemama Mon 23-May-11 13:28:03

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TCpHbNPCs&feature=related

howabout Mon 23-May-11 13:32:03

Try practising with a thickish bit of string and a larger hook to start with, so you can see what you are doing better. Also are you sure you are following the same conventions on the pattern re counting first chain or not and also re joining stitches. Too scared to watch your clip in case it confuses me again!

alfiemama Mon 23-May-11 13:39:17

Good idea howbout. I think I maybe need to teach myself again. I get confused as to what bits to go through grin

worldgonecrazy Mon 23-May-11 14:00:01

American and English crochet stitches are different. I can never remember which one is which but I think an American double crochet is a British triple crochet? Or maybe it's the other way around. Also when counting stiches inwards you count the first one after the hook as the first one, not the one the hook is in, IFYSWIM.

alfiemama Mon 23-May-11 14:15:33

Thanks worldgonecrazy, I'm a knitter and always found crocheting to be really complexed but really want to crochet these shoes for dd, so I will not be beaten.
Do you go through the stitch or the sc if they say 10 dc, if that makes sense?

worldgonecrazy Tue 24-May-11 08:55:42

I always go through the two bits of wool at the top of the stitch. Hard to explain without having a bit of crochet in front of me.

BelovedCunt Tue 24-May-11 09:01:35

you go through the double bit at the top unless it specifies otherwise. happy hookers is a great book to have to hand for this sort of thing.

alfiemama Tue 24-May-11 11:00:54

Thanks worldgonecrazy and beloved. I practised last night and watched a few you tube vids, still seem to struggle with the counting though.

Not sure if I should just stick to knitting. I always thought crocheting had had its day but these little shoes are very cute.

Redtedart Fri 27-May-11 08:53:37

Not sure if anyone wrote this yet, but it took ME ages to realise, that you do not count the loop on your hook (contrary to knitting). Once I twigged that, It all fell into place!

(PS did a piece on how to teach yourself to crochet here: http://www.redtedart.com/2011/02/18/how-to-teach-yourself-to-crochet/

Maggy

alfiemama Sat 28-May-11 23:12:29

Thanks Redtedart, yes took me a while to fathom that one, doesn't seem to be very well broadcast in the crocheting world lol.

Love the blog, very interesting and helpful.
I have found a beautiful blanket for dd but I have given it a go but I'm struggling. I'm ok until I get to Row5 and then it goes a wry.

www.ravelry.com/projects/grocerygirl/flower-square-4
or rosehip.typepad.com/rose_hip_blog/2008/11/index.html

alfiemama Sun 29-May-11 13:00:17

Yipppee, figured it out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: