Talk

Advanced search

New years resolution - finish old projects.

(16 Posts)
KurriKurri Mon 10-Jan-11 14:05:03

I've got quite a few half finished things I need to complete.

Covering my yoga blocks with fabric.
A half finished fifties style summer dress.
A large tapestry (been doing it for years, but going to make an effort)
A cardigan I'm knitting.

Some things I finish quickly others tend to get pushed to the back of a cupboard - I am easily distracted by new projects.

Anyone else a project butterfly? Or are you very organized in your approach? (tips welcomesmile)

ibbydibby Mon 10-Jan-11 15:03:10

Can I join you please?

I am beavering away on an aran cardigan, that I rashly offered to take over from MIL, as she is now unable to complete it. She had done back, sleeves, one complete front and one half front. I have now completed the second front and have knitted the collar, now trying to pick up stitches for button and button hole bands. I am really pushing myself to complete before end of Jan as have been sitting on it since OCt...

This has motivated me to get on with other ongoing, unfinshed projects:

1) sort photos taken since DS1 born (he is now 14.... and now have DS2...) blush

2) cross stitch picture started in 1995 blush

3) get some of my piles of card-making stuff made up into...cards!

Am very much a project butterfly, and really want to get into knitting again, the cardigan project has really motivated me.So need to get on top of other bits first.

No tips, though was wondering if to write myself a list of target dates for completion.

where are you...?

LairOfTheDetermined Mon 10-Jan-11 15:10:11

I think that being a project butterfly is very very common in crafters. The only thing tip that i have come across is to go through the project and realistically figure out what you are going to complete and what you wont. Get rid of stuff that you are never likely to finish.

This year i am trying to be strict with myself and not get anystuff for new projects unless i have finished off some of the old projects. Not sure how that is going to work but i am going to give it a go. I also have a project to be completed by Date list. So far this year i am on track. Got to get my head down and get sorted this week though to stay on track. was a bit optomistic with my planning for this week blush

Niecie Mon 10-Jan-11 21:07:24

Definitely me!!

I was going to be good and not buy anything new until I finished some projects. I am going to a quilt show this weekend and a knitting one in a month so I was going to avoid all crafty shops until then and buy something nice at one of the shows as a treat. Trouble is, they have crept up on me much quicker than I thought so I haven't really done much to clear the WIPS.

I did finish a cardie last week which was really quick and has made a tiny dent in my yarn stash so I am feeling a bit smug about that but I have no idea where to go next. I should really finish a jumper for DS1 I have been knitting for ages before he grows out of it without ever having worn it but it is a bit dull so although I should, I keep looking for distractions. blush

KurriKurri Mon 10-Jan-11 22:49:23

Maybe we should post when we manage to get an old project finished smile

Part of my problem is that friends and family will ask me to make things for them, so I stop what I'm working on and do the thing for them. Then sort of lose my way a bit with the original task.

Anyway - tonight I managed to complete a pair of Crofter DK wrist warmers for my DS's DP. So tomorrow back to my cardi I think.

Lists are a good idea, I'm going to write it all down and cross it off when it's done. I think the suggestion about deciding what you really want to complete is a good one too - no point doing something if it's not fun any more.

Ibby - did you mean where am I in the country? - Norfolk smile

LairOfTheDetermined Tue 11-Jan-11 09:40:58

Good to see you about niecie although we were talking about unfinished projects on a thread together best part of 2 years ago iirc. Although i have namechanged about 100 times since then.

Niecie Tue 11-Jan-11 09:50:52

Oh no! I have been banging on about UFOs for 2 years!! I wouldn't mind betting that some of my UFOs from then are still hanging around now plus a few new ones.

I should spend less time on MN and more time crafting......or name change!! blush

LairOfTheDetermined Tue 11-Jan-11 14:49:41

grin actually i only remember you as you posted a lot of support on one of my first threads on mn. However, i fear i too would be far more productive if i spent more time crafting and less time mning. Like that is going to happen though grin

Niecie Tue 11-Jan-11 17:06:50

It is nice to be remembered. I don't really 'know' that many people on here despite having been here a long time but it is good to know I am not invisible. smile

Anyway, the solution seems to be clear - either the day is extended by 3 hours to allow for both MNing and crafting or I need to clone myself so I can do two things at once.grin

LairOfTheDetermined Tue 11-Jan-11 17:16:35

<like> I like that plan. grin

ibbydibby Tue 11-Jan-11 17:36:19

Think the answer for me is a) to write a list of target dates (as LAir suggests) and b) to indulge in less MNing..

Finished button band of right front of DMIL's cardigan last night. Just buttonhole band and much stitching up to do..

Kurrikurri, I am in Norfolk also, I thought I remebered your name from a previous thread..maybe the one where somoene saw a presenter from Look East coming out of the forum (I had to google the name as hadn't heard of him!)

Niecie Tue 11-Jan-11 17:41:33

Shall we all do a list then? Would it be motivational to see it all written down and come back and check off things we have done?

I suppose my first job really should be to do DS1's jumper.

Then I have a cardie for me that I have done the back for but little else.

Then I have a granny stripes crochet blanket. Just getting towards the end of the ball on each of the 5 colours and I have 2 more balls of each colour so a long way to go yet.

And a million little projects I haven't started but have the yarn and the patterns for.

KurriKurri Tue 11-Jan-11 17:42:01

yes - that was me grin

Am getting back to my cardigan tonight - I need to finish it before the weather turns warm!

Niecie Tue 11-Jan-11 18:28:44

Lol - that was what I was thinking.

Mind you I have other, as yet unmentioned, tops and cardies that I have already started in cotton yarns for the summer. If it wants to turn warm, I still have plenty of weather appropriate things to work on.

I didn't estimate any dates did I? DS1's jumper - to be finished by the end of January.

<ignores the fact it should have been finished in time for school residential trip beginning 4th January.......2010blush>

rudolpherina Tue 11-Jan-11 20:43:04

I have the house coming down with unfinished projects!
-a mirror frame thats half painted
- bedside cabinet needs finished
- chair half upholstered
-half finished name collage for dd
- picture frames waiting to be filled with pics

LairOfTheDetermined Wed 12-Jan-11 00:00:09

unfinished projects in terms of urgency

2 x bags = asap as now late christmas presents
2 x tablecloths = asap as now late christmas presents
1 x single bed sized quilt = end of jan

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: