Talk

Advanced search

Really need your help - simple ragdoll

(10 Posts)
tallwivglasses Mon 03-Jan-11 22:12:05

Hi, I'm going to be a granny grin and while I'm not bad with a needle and thread, I haven't sewn more than a hem for years.

I don't do sewing machines, they break if I glance at them.

I have a limited ability and not much time but really wanted to make something for my grandchild. I'm not sure I could cope with quilts or clothes, so thought a little unisex (washable) ragdoll would be lovely if I can manage it. I quite like little fiddly things.

Does anyone know of any simple patterns? what kind of fabric/stuffing to use? Or is this a crap idea and you might think of a better one for me?? Thanks in advance.

dizzyday07 Mon 03-Jan-11 23:25:28

here is athread on which someone else asked about a ragdoll with some links to patterns on it

tallwivglasses Tue 04-Jan-11 10:29:13

Thanks very much dizzy smile

Deux Tue 04-Jan-11 13:24:20

Hi, my granny made me the most amazing rag doll for me and I still have her. What a lovely thing to do.

It sounds like you're quite handy with a needle and thread.

I don't think you need a specific pattern. 2 circles for the head, rectangle for the body, tube shapes for the arms and legs.

For shaping the hands and feet, if you construct a tube shape and stuff it lightly (so that it;'s not too stiff) you can stitch through the tube to make a wrist and stitch through the hand bit to make fingers. Is this making sense?

You can do a neck by making a ring shape and attaching that between the head and body. If you don't want it to flop you can put a piece of cardboard tube in there (eg from tinfoil tube).

Glue or stitch on separated wool for hair. Use circles of felt or embroider on eyes.

Also have a look in the shops at how they are put together.

My granny used my grandad's old vests died a very pale pink for mine.

tallwivglasses Tue 04-Jan-11 21:40:59

Yes I want to do a lovely thing! Others are knitting, quilting, etc blush I want DD to know I think this baby's really special.

Thanks, Deux - I'm going to either have fun with this or end up chucking it against the wall! Still, I suppose it needs to be durable.

Deux Wed 05-Jan-11 12:44:39

Oh, it will be fun. Sorry for typo above, should have been 'dyed'. The way I described putting a rag doll together is how my granny did it.

I'm going to try to make a doll for my dd out of her old baby tights. No earthly idea if it'll work or not but fancy something to do that I can hand stitch.

HippyHippopotamus Wed 05-Jan-11 17:13:01

i was about to suggest my thread but i see someone has beat me too it!

there's a really easy rag doll to make in Jean Greenhowe's book of favourite toys available here

greenlotus Thu 06-Jan-11 20:00:38

There are also the Clothkits dolls, as here

greenlotus Thu 06-Jan-11 20:01:28

HERE!!! I mean (bad link)

blush

tallwivglasses Fri 07-Jan-11 00:28:12

Oh oh, it's late but many thanks. First project in so many years. Can't wait to get into town and buy the stuffing, etc, and dig out my mum's old sewing box smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now