Talk

Advanced search

...and what new crafts do you want to try out in 2011?

(32 Posts)
Pheebe Wed 29-Dec-10 19:33:05

I fancy having a go at patchwork (did it years ago but am in awe of the fabrics around these days)

I'd also like to try papier mache (want to make some bowls/plant pots) and make some proper cold process soaps. Might also have a bash at some teacup candles and I quite fancy pottery...

ItsKurriiiistmas Wed 29-Dec-10 19:38:04

I'm toying with the idea of scrap booking - I've reached an age where I want to start creating records and journals of aspects of my life !

I'd also like to have a go at jewellery using recycled materials.

Mamathulu Wed 29-Dec-10 22:56:18

Ooh, there's always so many crafts I'd love to start - I think patchwork has to be top at the moment, although I don't know how to use a sewing machine yet and can't hand sew for toffee.
I've done a lot of cross-stitch in the past, but recently I've wanted to do stuff that has a little more practical use. I knitted the baby a patchwork-style blanket, my DD a hat and now I'm doing DS some mittens. I'm determined to keep doing this stuff despite having 4 DC's now! (Sod the housework!! )

Pheebe Thu 30-Dec-10 08:37:11

haha mama its like that in our house too...cleaning vs crafting...

I fancy jewellery making too, looks a bit expensive though

moocowme Thu 30-Dec-10 11:08:04

now that i have a house with a yard i shall be looking to do more felting. looking to do a nice felt hat and some scarves etc.

also wanting to do more embroidery type stuff. i need to feel my house with nice things not pound shop tat (unless i have nicely embroidered it!)

other than that i will be searching flickr for some inspiration.

oh and of course will try to start christmas preperations earlier next year!!!

MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Thu 30-Dec-10 18:05:08

I already make jewellery,but want to make my own beads.I need more hours in the day.....

moocowme Fri 31-Dec-10 11:03:32

yes if i did not have to sleep and work i could get way more of the important stuff done.

NineNieciesDancing Fri 31-Dec-10 21:00:53

Not a new craft as such but I want to have a proper go at sock making. For some reason it looks really hard to me which is daft as it can't be that difficult and I can knit fair isle and do cables and all sorts which some seem to think is tough. The heel is the bit that is putting me off. However, this year I will have more time to do crafting having finished an OU course and I will not put off learning the dark arts of sock making any longer.

I would also love to do some proper patchwork and quilting having only dabbled in techniques in recent years rather than making a whole quilt.

Bumperlicious Fri 31-Dec-10 22:07:58

I've got an origami book which I am going to give a go.

iloveblue Sat 01-Jan-11 21:43:46

I really want to try the freeform sewing machine embroidery that Kirsty Allsop did. Is it possible to get an attachment for a normal machine (I'm sure that's what they said on the program) or do you need a special machine?

trice Sun 02-Jan-11 17:34:47

I got a gilding set for christmas. I am looking forward to using my squirrel hair brush.

ZZZenAgain Sun 02-Jan-11 17:36:12

have just taught dd to knit. We both have the flu (still, mutter) but making some progress. It isn't new to me but am getting back into it as she learns it

morsbagmum Sun 02-Jan-11 17:58:54

iloveblue you need a darning foot, you should be able to get a universal one to fit your machine.

Quiltingmoomin Sun 02-Jan-11 20:40:29

I'm going to try crewelwork - I got The New Crewel for Christmas and fancy making a cool cushion or something. I'm also going to do a red and white Dear Jane quilt - over 250 blocks and all different, am dreading and loving the idea.

MrsvWoolf Sun 02-Jan-11 21:13:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

threeandcounting Sun 02-Jan-11 21:39:49

I would love to learn how to sew with the sewing machine that is hiding in my cupboard!!

I bring it out, get in a tangle and put it away again...

ZZZenAgain Sun 02-Jan-11 21:46:50

what are Waldorf style dolls?
I will never be able to crochet

Mamathulu Mon 03-Jan-11 03:20:20

pheebe

Yeah, I've never quite grasped the concept of crotchet, so I don't think I'll be tackling that any time soon!

I'm knitting at the moment - I've knitted a patchwork blanket for the new DS3, a hat for DD, and am now tackling mittens for DS1. so I don't think I'll be tackling proper patchwork until I've made use of the wool I've bought and then I need to look at learning how to use a sewing machine!

I did get a lovely wooden sewing basket for Christmas though, so I'm now going to have to fill it with lovely bits and pieces!

MrsvWoolf Mon 03-Jan-11 13:24:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZZZenAgain Mon 03-Jan-11 14:01:22

they look difficult to make those dolls -
sweet though. Had never heard of those before.

I can't fathom crochet. I have read books, looked at videos, listened to explanations. I cannot do it. When you've sussed it, please come back and help us Mrs. W.

Does anyone else find that their sewing machine always jamms? Used to drive me nuts, then I put it away in a cupboard and have had a life of peace. However now dd is determined to learn to use it and I am scared of getting it back out. No matter how often I adjust tension and dust it with a little brush and everything else you are told to do, it jams underneath with a thick cobweb of tangled threads under what you are sewing. It is maddening.

I think I may just have a jinxed machine though, other people seem to manage fine with theirs.

KurriKurri Mon 03-Jan-11 16:12:34

MrsvWoolf - crochet isn't hard once you get the hang of it, I think the best way to learn is probably to have someone show you (or maybe there is something on youtube you could watch.) It is pleasingly quick to make something with crochet (I love knitting too, but you can whip something up much faster with crochet).

Those waldorf dolls are very cute - unfortunately my DC are grown up now - I need some grandchildren to make toys for grin

Pheebe Mon 03-Jan-11 17:44:58

ZZZ sounds like your machine needs a service. Mine does too, I might get DH to have a go, he's an electrician so here's hoping...

In the meantime I'm making myself a gorgeous knitted cushion with roses on as I seem to have spent the last few months making for other people

MrsvWoolf try asking in your local wool shop if there's anyone local willing to show you

coldcomfortHeart Mon 03-Jan-11 20:07:26

Felting! I was very kindly given two huge bags of Shetland wool, straight off the sheep, burrs, poos and all. So I need to wash it (repeatedly and with my feet apparently, a la crushing grapes only more pungent)

Also I've been told that native sheep's wool takes ages to felt so I might like to add some merino which crinkles better. It's all new to me and I'm looking forward to it (once it's clean, as it is honking out the shed at the moment)

Niecie Mon 03-Jan-11 20:43:09

MrsvWoolf - I struggled to learn to crochet for ages but I finally learnt last year using this book.

I think the reason I had so much trouble is that it took me ages to twig that you need to do extra chains at the beginning of every row over an above the number you need for a pattern. They sort of provide the step up for the next row, iyswim. Difficult to explain but the book sorted it out. I reckon (although I could be wrong) it probably confuses a lot of people because the stitches themselves are not difficult.

I could do with good book to get my head round my sock making block if anybody could recommend one.

teenyweenytadpole Mon 03-Jan-11 21:46:58

I am just getting really into knitting, just knitted DD a teddy which is full of lumps and bumps but I am quite proud of him! Would love to have a go at some more folksy type stuff, with felt and suchlike. I work in a preschool and would like to make some little dolls or gnomes for the children, and am doing forest schools so some outdoor crafty type things would be lovely. So many things to make, so little time....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now