Talk

Advanced search

chunky rag doll pattern needed please

(11 Posts)
HippyChristmaspotamus Wed 15-Dec-10 17:10:51

hi girls/boys
i've finally finished my last order for christmas so now i can get on and start making my own presents!
i want to make my daughter a rag doll like the one my mum made me. i've been searching for ages but all the dolls seem to be for stick thin dolls. i know i could just size it up to make a fatter doll but i was wondering if anyone knew of a chunky rag doll pattern? i want to make something she can cuddle and the thin dolls just won't do!
Actually, just had a thought, i wonder if i should just make a teddy bear shaped body and legs and just put a doll's head on it... sorry, thinking and typing here!

any ideas gratefully received! links to the patterns would be wonderful!

thanks in advance smile

MumsieNonna Thu 16-Dec-10 08:35:05

If you Google 'free doll patterns' lots come up. Try this one doll patterns. There are loads on this website and you can download the patterns and print them out too.

24 inch baby doll This one is quite nice although I think the eyes look scary.

There is a fabulous book called Making Dolls book link. If you ask Santa very, very nicely he might bring you one before Christmas. wink

dizzyday07 Thu 16-Dec-10 10:08:00

I have used this turorial a couple of times and it's a nice size doll bt it might not be the style you are after

HippyChristmaspotamus Thu 16-Dec-10 14:36:42

MumsieNonna thank you!!!!! that 24inch one is perfect albeit with a slightly different face!
oh and i did try googling but got swamped by all the results!
off to look at your book now...

dizzy yours is lovely too. you're right, not the right style for me but my friend's daughter will love her so thank you

greenlotus Thu 16-Dec-10 21:34:25

If you go on ebay for "rag doll pattern" there are quite often vintage 70's and 80's dolls from magazines like Woman's Weekly, quite a few I have in my collection e.g.. here

HippyChristmaspotamus Fri 17-Dec-10 08:42:50

greenlotus you win the star prize!!

i followed your link and thought 'Jean Greenhowe' that name rings a bell and that photo looks awfully familiar. So I had a look on my bookshelf and lo and behold guess what i found grinblush Yup, the very book! and its got a chapter just on large rag dolls. Thank you, you're wonderful and I'm a muppet! In my defense its probably 25yrs since I last made anything from the book but still blush

greenlotus Fri 17-Dec-10 12:48:55

envy at your book - what's the title? I would love to find the patterns for a couple of the dolls my mum made me back in the 70's.

Happy sewing - oh I wish sometimes for a little girl.

HippyChristmaspotamus Fri 17-Dec-10 17:39:57

greenlotus be envy no longer. its for sale here!

i asked my mum what pattern she used to make my doll and she hasn't got a clue! apparently i'm expecting too much of her to remember given that it was 35 yrs ago! But she thinks she copied a doll she saw somewhere..huge help! between us we remember enough about the original to make a rough copy of her though. although i'm planning on giving mine a slightly less scary face grin

greenlotus Fri 17-Dec-10 20:38:17

OK I've availed myself of one.
Does it have a pattern for a tiny rag doll (about 7 inches high) with maybe 5 outfits of clothes, brown hair? Not sure if a Jean Greenhow or not.

HippyChristmaspotamus Fri 17-Dec-10 22:14:14

yes there is!!!
p.62
"the well dressed doll - this charming doll stands just 10 inches tall and has a wardrobe of five pretty outfits...."

greenlotus Fri 17-Dec-10 22:59:21

could be... I think she might have been smaller but how can you possibly remember how big something was when you were eight? thanks, I must get on. Am eagerly waiting for the post, anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: