Talk

Advanced search

Making a play kitchen - anyone got any good ideas?

(6 Posts)
tigersteapot Sat 04-Dec-10 23:23:19

I'm making a cardboard play kitchen for my dd's Christmas. Have done lots of googling & think I've got almost everything sussed. I'm going to cut a hole in the top & drop in a metal dog bowl to make a sink but am stuck on ideas for the actual taps / faucet.

Like most two year olds dd is seriously into turning on taps & banging about in the sink so I want it to look realistic. Is there some kind of plastic plumbing type thingy I could use? Trying to keep it cheap & cheerful / recycle as much as possible.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas / suggestions. Thanks.

ShanahansRevenge Sat 04-Dec-10 23:38:17

A bit of metal shower hose? You know the flexible stuff? One piece so it is like a mixer tap and cap it with something like a plasic cap

Or a piece of curved pipe (plastic) from B&Q or a plumbers merchant...spray it silver...taps can be made from thicker and shorter pieces of pipe...cap them... one red and one blue for hot and cold. You can sit them in something underneath so they can turn without coming out.

I saw a great cardboard kitchen on here

www.craftster.org

Just incase you haven't been there...

jenniepanda Sat 04-Dec-10 23:49:53

I made one a couple of years ago out of an old square shelfing using. I cut out a bit for the bowl and actually bought some old broken taps off ebay for a few pounds. They turn and everything, although DD was disappointed that there wasn't actual running water!!! I did ring around a few local plumbers too to see if they had any, but none did the week I needed them.

Quiltingmoomin Sun 05-Dec-10 09:37:36

You should have a look at the one Bumperlicious made a while ago - if you PM her she could send you a picture - its lovely!

Quiltingmoomin Sun 05-Dec-10 09:38:58

I think the picture is on her profile

tigersteapot Sun 05-Dec-10 21:20:24

Thanks everyone.

ShananansRevenge - what a fab website. My mum's not going to thank you though, as I saw loads of crochet & fabric projects that I'll start & end up passing on to her to finish!

The kitchen Bumperlicious made is gorgeous. Wish my kitchen looked like that, nevermind DD's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now