Talk

Advanced search

According to my DD, her teddy bear needs a dress. Please give me an idiots guide to making one!

(8 Posts)
Tobermory Thu 02-Dec-10 11:15:59

Snowed in for the 3rd day and starting to get cabin fever.

Dd (3) is insistent that her big teddy bear needs a pretty dress.
I have some pink gingham fabric, ribbon, sewing machine, thread and no idea where to start. Fabric is limited so can't make too many mistakes....
HELP!

BabsH Thu 02-Dec-10 12:11:05

How big is the bear? I had a look online for you, but no actual bear dress patterns, this site has free patterns, so you might be able to find something here.

Otherwise I guess, its a case of doing a fitted bodice and then a full skirt (which should be the easy bit)

Hope it goes well smile

www.angelfire.com/planet/mcshelpsite/sewingstuff/f reepatterns.html

AphraBen Thu 02-Dec-10 16:09:23

For a really, really simple dress take 1 rectangle of fabric, cut a head hole in the middle and use a ribbon to tie it around the waist. Its more of a tunic, but can pass as a dress, if you're stuck.

Tizwozliz Thu 02-Dec-10 17:13:34

How big is the teddy bear? Newborn sized?

This is an easy pattern to follow, Itty Bitty Dress Pattern, one of the first things i ever made

BabsH Thu 02-Dec-10 18:55:35

Tizwozliz, thanks for the link, thats a fab site, thanks smile

Tobermory Thu 02-Dec-10 20:05:19

Thanks everyone, first opportunity I've had to get back online.
I made one, hurrah!
Nothing complicated, no need for talk of bodices and full skirts but was a bit more complicated than the tunic description.
tizwozliz, like your link v much. So just how hard do we think the 'itty bitty dress' would be to make?

Tizwozliz Thu 02-Dec-10 20:51:59

It's not (IMO) hard at all, like I said, it was one of the first things I ever made and the instructions are pretty good. I only put sewed the skirt on inside out once grin

On the hanger

Modelled

Tobermory Thu 02-Dec-10 21:45:22

grin

Wow, that looks fab!
Hmmm ok, I might be tempted. Did you have to size up the pattern?

Could you make it in a heavier fabric for winter do u think?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: