Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy pleated...

(10 Posts)
AllBuggiedOut Tue 23-Nov-10 14:40:11

...navy blue jersey fabric please?

I have a short dress which is plain jersey with a pleated frill round the bottom, about 5" deep. I dyed the dress, but the colour didn't take on the frill, so I want to replace it. Does anybody know if I will be able to buy fabric with thin permanent pleats pressed into it? I went into a local fabric shop and they had no idea.

Alternatively, what else could I sew in place of the pleats? The dress is simple and everyday-ish, but too short without the frill.

TIA!

soccerwidow Tue 23-Nov-10 18:27:57

Just a gathered piece of jersey/other fabric?

AllBuggiedOut Tue 23-Nov-10 19:47:12

Thanks, but I think a gather might look odd. Bias might work, but I'd prefer something with a different texture since it's unlikely to be an exact match for the rest of the dress.

soccerwidow Wed 24-Nov-10 09:51:10

You can buy satin bias binding

Unprune Wed 24-Nov-10 09:57:42

Get some printed cotton (Liberty? They have amazing prints atm) and make a totally contrasting trim?

rockinhippy Wed 24-Nov-10 12:02:01

Without seeing the actual dress its difficult to guess, but I'm wondering would a deep pleat trim perhaps work? This sort of thing??, you can usualy find it pretty easily & it will come in a choice of colours & widths

www.flickr.com/photos/mjtrim/3447981048/

AllBuggiedOut Wed 24-Nov-10 12:45:11

Thanks for the suggestions - the trim you linked to rockinhippy is what I was hoping to find, although need it to be deeper (5" or so) and would prefer if it wasn't sheer. Can you suggest where I might look?

shodatin Mon 29-Nov-10 23:30:01

Would lace look OK?

rockinhippy Tue 30-Nov-10 11:48:19

Sorry allbuggiedout only just seen this again

I can't help in where to get it from, but it is fairly easy to find in haberdashers around her & probably on the internet, but think you'll really struggle to find it in opague & 5" anyway.

if the style will take it, then if you need 5" the lace idea would be better as you'll find deeper trims in that, other than that, it would have to be make your own -

you can rough pleat yourself in a microwave, but it is a REAL faff, so not sure I'd recommend it unless you have bags of patience & skill, you'll need fabric ideally of min 6o% polyesters & then gather up both ends (after pin hemming 1) & then nuke it for a minute or so...having swatch tested it first to determin how long etc

either that or perhaps a peplum style contrast??, cut on circle to give a nice fluted edge?

good luck

rockinhippy Tue 30-Nov-10 11:51:01

sorry that should of read - gather up both ends (after pin hemming 1) & press pleats in place & then nuke it for a minute or so

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: