Talk

Advanced search

After an easy knitted baby blanket pattern please!

(14 Posts)
missytabitha Fri 19-Nov-10 21:08:09

I'm an occasional knitter with limited skills (can do garter, stocking, moss stitch in total). Trying to find an easy baby blanket pattern for me to do for a close friend. I like the idea of squares sewn together as someone did that for me and really loved it and know it is a useful and much loved gift. Any ideas or pointers anyone? I am fine to pay for the right pattern just finding it hard to locate. Thank you in advance.

nonanny Fri 19-Nov-10 21:15:25

I agree about the squares, in fact I have enjoyed makings several blankets for my babies. You don't need rigid sized squares or same needles or thickness of wool but can use any oddments and exciting kinds of yarn . Just knit pieces randomly maybe to a colour scheme so they all blend together beautifully and then piece them all together like a jigsaw. Where it doesn't fit custom-make the last few pieces. Sew together and attach to snuggly fleece - you can get nice patterned ones sometimes, just a piece of fleece cloth you cut to size. Then you can also sew motifs onto the fleece side. I do this as mine are growing up, like cut a motif off an old but favoutite t- shirt. Add surprise motifs,e g a santa for first Xmas. Be creative without a pattern.

nonanny Fri 19-Nov-10 21:20:49

Hi again

Should also have said try 'Debbie Bliss' for great and simple ideas. Several lovely books; must be a website too. Can be lovely if just plain knitting in one colour if nice wool on medium needles and then an individualised backing. You could make the backing patchwork sewn together using different textures like those taggy blankets?

You can tell I like making blankets! especially when pregnant.

missytabitha Fri 19-Nov-10 21:51:44

Thank you Nonanny. Funny the last time I was knitting a blanket (lost pattern) for a friend I was pregant with my first DS, didn't know at the time. I mentioned to MIL today and we laughed as I don't want DC3 as I am 43 and tired!!! Thank you.

beijingaling Sat 20-Nov-10 13:52:44

I'm using the Debbie Bliss Baby Knits for Beginners and there is a very simple square blanket in there. In fact I'm doing it right now!

Simply cast on 14 stitches, knit 24 rows, cast off. 56 squares in total. Sorry if this is too vague... you can get the book at laughinghens.com and all the yarns for less than I paid at John Lewis!

Niecie Sat 20-Nov-10 23:38:17

The Coats Crafts website has freebie patterns for patons including this one which looks very simple with a tiny bit of felt applique on it too but you can miss that off if you don't like it or don't want it.

sazziej Sun 21-Nov-10 20:17:44

Oooh I LOVE that pattern Niecie looks easy enough for me to try!

missytabitha Mon 22-Nov-10 21:16:13

Thank you beijingaling and Niecie, have checked them both out. They are both gorgeous and both look easy enough for me! Problem now is which one to choose. Thanks again. MissyT

thehairybabysmum Mon 22-Nov-10 21:21:01

My mum knitted my ds a beautiful debbie bliss blanket. ill try and find a link.

trumpton Mon 22-Nov-10 21:26:37

I have done this one using cheaper double knitting in 12 colours. It is Fabulous . Not a soft shawl type blanket but really love it. It is only stocking stitch and I must admit gets a bit biring but the end result is worth it.Wild Stripes Blanket

thehairybabysmum Mon 22-Nov-10 21:26:38

the pattern was in this book here

still looking for a pic though

trumpton Mon 22-Nov-10 21:26:58

or even boring

thehairybabysmum Mon 22-Nov-10 21:31:49

its on this page scroll down for it

she also knitted him the bear, its v cute.

I still have the book (somewhere) so could copy the pattern if you are interested.

Niecie Tue 23-Nov-10 21:55:57

Love that stripy blanket trumpton - shame I don't have any babies to make it for!

I suppose I could make myself a bigger one.....smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now