Talk

Advanced search

any knitters lurking?

(10 Posts)
hubbabubbababba Wed 17-Nov-10 18:42:34

Hi all, I've just started trying to knit, so far I can cast on, knit just a standard knit stich and cast off....
I don't really know what I need to learn next and how do I get from this point to actually knitting things? Any advice would be lovely, I don't really know what to do next!

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Wed 17-Nov-10 18:50:59

You could knit a scarf with just that. Or you could be a bit posh and knit a ribbed scarf by learning to purl, which is just a backwards knit stitch (check out www.knittinghelp.com for better instructions!)
To knit a ribbed scarf you would cast on, then just knit 2 stiches and purl 2 stitches until you have a scarf. Easy, and looks quite good!

Oh, and join www.ravelry.com. Loads of helpful knitters and free patterns on there.

HTH!

KurriKurri Wed 17-Nov-10 18:53:43

Hi, - you might want to have a go at a purl stitch, then you will be able to do stocking stitch (which is one row knit, one row pearl) and also rib (which is knit one stitch, purl one stitch.) Once you can do stocking stitch and purl, you will be able to tackle a good few patterns, as knitting is pretty much a combination of these stitches.

If you want to make garments, you will need to know how to increase and decrease the numbers of stitches, then you will be able to shape your garment. It's not difficult, usually either knitting 2 stitches together, or picking one up. If you have something with diagrams to show you how to do these, you will be able to do it.

Patterns can look a bit daunting, but, once you have sorted out what the various abbrieviations mean, you will find they are usually a combination of basic stitches. HTH smile

DutchOma Wed 17-Nov-10 19:53:47

Well done on getting this far with your knitting. You have done the most difficult part when you no longer drop your needles, your stitches or both every time you do a stitch. I too would say learn to purl and join Ravelry. Then see if there is a group meeting local to you and you will have some people to fall back on if you get stuck.

Rather than a scarf I would do a purse or a mobile phone cover. Scarves are very boring and take forever.
For a purse I would just cast on 20 stitches, knit until it is long enough to look like a purse when you fold it in three parts (two for the body of the purse and one part for the flap to go over it,, sew 2/3rds up and put a loop and button to fasten.

BornToFolk Wed 17-Nov-10 19:57:49

I'm a knitter, but I'm not lurking...I'm out and proud! grin

DutchOma is right, you've already learnt the hardest bit.

You could try baby things? They are small (obviously!) so quick to knit and you get to try out techniques before committing to an adult sized garment. Also, lots of books will include a section on how to knit. Debbie Bliss baby books are lovely and I'm sure she does a beginner one.

YouTube is also good for knitting videos.

Niecie Wed 17-Nov-10 20:47:03

Definitely learn the purl. If you can cast on, cast off, knit and purl you can do anything. Everything in knitting is a variation of those 4 things.

You could, with the knit stitch only, do a cushion cover which won't take as long as a scarf but which is an alternative to the purse or pouch. I think I did pair of gloves first but I was only a child and had my mum at hand if I got into trouble. They were quick and look hard but aren't. Either that or I was young and foolish and had no fear.grin

Google free knitting patterns and you will find loads - look for knitting blogs as well. You could, off the top of my head, have a look at www.coatscrafts.co.uk which has loads of free patterns to look at whilst you wait for your Ravelry membership to be activated (it takes a couple of days). Coats also have instructions on how to knit as well.

Have fun.

hubbabubbababba Thu 18-Nov-10 08:04:03

Thats all great advice guys,thank you so much to take time to respond, knitters are obviously some jolly good eggs! I am a bit scared of patterns so would like to know what I'm doing before I try and tackle one, I would also though like to try and knit a dress for a friends baby's doll if possible before Xmas once I am a bit more experienced, I don't know how long this would take though and if I'm being too ambitious.

DutchOma Thu 18-Nov-10 10:10:36

Depends a bit on what kind of doll's dress. They can be quite involved and time consuming, even for experienced knitters, but if you have a simple pattern that you could make sense of, you could manage.

zisforzebra Thu 18-Nov-10 19:14:35

The Stitch and Bitch Handbook is great if you want to learn things like increasing and decreasing as it has some really good, clear pictures. It is american so some of the terminology is different but there are charts explaining the english equivalent.

A fairly simple doll's dress pattern would be a good learning pattern to start off with because you'd practise all the techniques but in a project small enough to complete before you get bored of it! smile

schihaserl Tue 23-Nov-10 21:38:41

Welcome to knitting! I only started a couple of years ago and found knitting magazines really useful to begin with. Some of them have a 'basics' section, with picture tutorials, showing how to purl, increase and decrease, etc. Check out your local library too. Most libraries have a good stock of knitting books, including ones for beginners. Ravelry's great for free patterns and support, and I have a friend who swears by the Stitch and Bitch Handbook. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: