Talk

Advanced search

Hand Patchwork Quilt

(10 Posts)
myboysarethebest Tue 16-Nov-10 18:51:58

Hi All,
I have some fabulous fabrics which I bought and want to make a patchwork quilt. The idea of packing up a sewing machine each time I want to sew means I will never get anything done.
So I've made up my mind to do a hand patchwork quilt - and try and do a bit each night. Something other than being on MM for hoursgrin

My question is - help - how do I do this???

I have done a wee bit of patchwork at school but not a lot and quite some time ago!

Niecie Tue 16-Nov-10 22:12:17

Do you have a pattern you want to do?

In the first patchwork course I did I made a sampler quilt using lots of techniques and and everything was hand sewn. I suppose the most important thing, no matter what technique is being used,is to cut accurately and make sure that you have the 1/4 inch seam allowance around the edge. If you sew to that seam allowances (which is easier hand sewing than machining imo), then you should be able to fit it all together well.

It would help to know what you had in mind really.

soccerwidow Thu 18-Nov-10 10:43:07

Hexagons are good

Have a look through the patchwork groups in flikr or try a few searches on google images to get an idea of what you want to do.

mollymole Thu 18-Nov-10 11:15:10

why not start with a 'crazy patchwork' this is really easy and not reliant on cutting exact shapes - you can look up technique & see how easy it is

ThinneverVetch Tue 23-Nov-10 21:53:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThinneverVetch Tue 23-Nov-10 21:54:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Quiltingmoomin Sun 28-Nov-10 06:59:28

Hand piecing can be very therapeutic I love it. V good for train journies. Jinny Bauer ( spelling may be wrong) is a v good resource.

moocowme Sun 28-Nov-10 11:06:20

i find i can hand sew and mumsnet quit succesfully at the same time as long as i am just reading. i have my laptop on a small table right next to me and do a bit of each at a time.

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 29-Nov-10 17:51:43

I am doing it and loving it, though don't do what I did and start a quilt made out of 1 1/2" diamonds - for the love of God use bigger patches grin

it's English patchwork where you cut the papers the size you want the patch, then press and tack the pieces over the papers and oversew them together, then take the papers out when you've finished.

the accuracy of the cut fabric matters less with this style of patchwork - it's the accuracy of the papers which is key. So you can do it with less kit, ie no need for rotary cutter & mat. But it is slow.

Quiltingmoomin Tue 30-Nov-10 05:17:57

Sorry, jinny beyer

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: