Talk

Advanced search

When should he start looking ..

(13 Posts)
sparklyelephant Sun 24-Sep-17 16:32:09

My son was 16 yesterday smile
So he's just starting year eleven, when do/should we start looking for an apprenticeship, next year, now?
He doesn't want to go to full time college, nor go in to 6th form, so an apprenticeship it will be.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 26-Sep-17 13:41:29

Does he know what apprenticeship he wants?

DD did college first and is now doing an apprenticeship. We started looking around in the February - she went to visit a couple of nurseries 'to see if it was something she wanted to do' (but really so they could see her in the flesh) and then she applied to one of them in the March, to start towards the end of July. But I've no idea what is normal, we wanted her to get in 'ahead' of the school leavers!

I would be tempted to get him to apply for a college place as well as a fall back or if he changes his mind. It won't do any harm.

SleepingSoundly Wed 27-Sep-17 21:43:31

Look into advanced apprenticeships. They are for youngsters continuing from 5+ GCSEs grade C or above and incorporate qualifications equivalent to 2A levels or sometimes more. Big companies start to advertise from before Xmas for the following September.

sparklyelephant Thu 28-Sep-17 16:46:06

He would like to work out n a brewery apparently? Or in agriculture, but he's not sure what part?
I'm thinking we're going to have problems here hmm

ninjapants Thu 28-Sep-17 17:02:16

As soon as he can and in the meantime he should try to get more qualifications and relevant experience, either paid or voluntary, to boost his fledgling CV.
My DBro got an apprenticeship at age 20 after he dropped out of University. He was a straight A student at school and the competition for the three apprenticeship places was huge. The three who got the jobs were early twenties, stayed at school beyond 16 and left with very good grades. They'd all been in further education and/or paid employment. It can no longer be assumed that anyone can get an apprenticeship on leaving school at 16 with little or no academic qualifications.
Fwiw I think apprenticeships are a great way into full time, qualified employment. A much safer bet than spending thousands on university with no guarantee of a job at the end.
He needs to start making plans now, good luck, I hope he gets to do what he wants to!

youngestisapsycho Thu 28-Sep-17 17:10:27

There is a website
Getingofar.gov.uk

RuskinMarc Thu 05-Oct-17 12:53:57

You can also search for Apprenticeships here: www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch if your DS has 5 GCSEs at C or above he should be looking for a Level 3 (Advanced) Apprenticeships at least.

Lucyccfc Mon 30-Oct-17 10:48:09

As an employer who takes on apprentices, my timescales are:

Jan 2018 advertise
March - have our open evening
April - collate applications
May - interview
June - send offers
September - start

Kez100 Mon 30-Oct-17 13:13:05

Start looking and talking asap. Some advertise very early so the process of application and interview can take due process and be in time to start at end of the academic year. Others start later.

By doing investigation now, even if he cannot apply for some, he can see what is available and where in the country. Some industries seem to have more options than others.

When he goes to colleges he needs to visit their apprenticeships department and talk to them. I don't know if all sixth form colleges have these but the two near us both do.

Kez100 Mon 30-Oct-17 13:18:21

I also agree about making sure he has back up college place.

Apprenticeships include study/training and work and so he needs to be able to illustrate that he wants to continue to learn as well as work. Obviously, one would hope he gets an apprenticeship that fits with finishing school or starting the following September but, as they are competitive, if he does not, he needs to have a plan of action where he is in some way fully employed - be that college study, voluntary work, or work. Then when the right opportunity comes along they can see he is a proactive lad.

Jude78 Sun 07-Jan-18 23:29:00

My son is in his last year of college and decided against uni in the end in favour of an apprenticeship. I have absolutely no knowledge on apprenticeships and was also wondering how you go about applying and when? I have asked my son but he’s very blasé

Kez100 Mon 08-Jan-18 07:48:48

To be honest, if he wants an apprenticeship, blasé is something he will need to get out of his system. Many good apprenticeships need commitment to find out about and then to apply to. He might get his first application but it's unlikely as the competition is likely to be fierce for the good opportunities.

However, I understand at his age they need a bit of focus to find their mojo, so help him to find the source of information and then try to encourage him with discussions at home, help to search, and visits to college to locate opportunities he'd like to apply for.

I know my DC s college had an apprenticeship department. It was different from their own subject department so they had to go and introduce themselves. They had local opportunities of different levels and did talks etc too.

The Government have a online website. Look at those in detail. He'll need to consider if he's happy to move away from home and then he can search a bigger area. Moving away he could either support himself the apprenticeship wage (some are better than others) or you could top up with help (depends on your circumstances)

Our theory was we had to help our daughter with £400 a month through her Uni years, so we offered the same (if needed) to help support the other through an apprenticeship (if needed).

Also look at individual company websites. Like BT, the Banks, Accountants etc depending on his interest. They often have information in the website careers section.

Depending on where you live and his area of interest there may be good opportunities locally. If you are rural with minimal public transport there may be fewer options without living away.

Kez100 Mon 08-Jan-18 07:53:52

Your other question - the application. They all vary. He needs to be looking now and then he will see what start dates are out there currently. They will vary as some bigger companies have a longer application process - online form, online tests, interview/assessment days. Others, of course, might have a shorter process. He'll find that out from his research and it very much depends on which opportunities he wishes to apply for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: