Talk

Advanced search

Nursery apprenticeship

(19 Posts)
TeenAndTween Mon 24-Jul-17 16:08:08

DD starts her nursery apprenticeship this week.
There are so many things that are unclear so it is a bit of a step into the unknown, a bit like her (unrelated) college BTEC was.
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed she enjoys it.

TeenAndTween Sat 05-Aug-17 20:35:02

I know I'm talking to myself, but it's a good record if nothing else. smile

DD has done her first full week and seems to be enjoying it despite bumping herself quite a lot (dyspraxia and new environment) and being very tired. Great that she can drive as she has to spend 1 morning a week at another site for various trainings. She has spent time in each of the 3 rooms (4th room not opening until Sept).

First assignment has been set, she has around 5 weeks to complete it.

EnFlique Sat 05-Aug-17 20:39:09

Its great that she is enjoying it; if it's a good environment it will be ideal for her and she should flourish.
Is she confident about it?

TeenAndTween Sat 05-Aug-17 21:03:25

It has been a good start at least.

We are pretty confident about the nursery, it is part of a small chain and well respected with v.good Ofsteds. Their training seems to be quite structured.

She is enjoying the work so far and doesn't seen fazed by nappy changing etc. She is good with interacting with children. Everyone has been friendly.

I'm not totally confident about assignments as she struggled with writing in enough detail at college, but she did improve over the two years. I'm hoping that she will know more as she will have been doing it in a real environment, so it will be more clear to her what to write. But I am a bit nervous on that aspect. Also a bit nervous about how much time assignments will take outside of work as she is so shattered at the end of each day, but I know that will improve.

TeenAndTween Mon 14-Aug-17 20:37:01

And so the struggling with written assignments begins. One sentence questions, probably requiring at least half a page of answer, she writes 2 sentences as she can't see what is wanted...
If only the questions were more explicit.
She is enjoying the day to day though.

sparklyelephant Sat 26-Aug-17 12:18:17

There's a forum/website I found very useful whilst doing the CYPW level 3 called Silky Steps,
Lots of very experienced and knowledgeable Nursery Nurses, Childminders and Nannies on there.

ElizabethShaw Sat 26-Aug-17 12:22:27

Her tutor/assessor should be able to give her quite explicit guidance on exactly what is needed and length of answers. Also there will presumably be other staff at the nursery who have recently successfully completed the same course - people are usually keen to help colleagues.

TeenAndTween Mon 28-Aug-17 19:45:27

Thank you. We will see when she gets her first pieces back what the feedback is, and go from there. I'm trying to step back, and she wants me to step back, but I do fear that what she has written for first assignment may be woefully insufficient (though I haven't actually seen the final version).

Mum1990 Mon 11-Sep-17 23:06:26

Hello I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant and just started a TA apprenticeship but haven't told my employers im pregnant.
I chose not to tell them in the beginning as I really wanted to be accepted onto the apprenticeship, however I'm now getting quite anxious that once they do know I will be let go.

I'm very sure I'll be able to complete coursework etc whilst I'm able to attend before baby is due however will have to take time off 5 months into my apprenticeship.

I really don't want to be let go after this time as I know I'll be adamant to make up for lost time but really want to complete this apprenticeship and don't want to be kicked off, is anyone able to shed any light on this and give some useful honest advice.

Thank you really appreciate it in advance.

catslife Wed 13-Sep-17 13:35:54

Interesting question mum1990 but I think you may be posting on the wrong thread. I would try starting a new thread in the Employment Issues section on here.
I think that you should be entitled to maternity leave as an apprentice but also that you will have to give notice at some point. I used to be a school governor and (assuming you are in a school) understand that staff (teaching and non teaching) do need to give notice approx a half term in advance before taking leave.
You should also be able to take time off for antenatal appointments etc.
PS I may want to contact you about TA apprenticeships as my dd may be interested in this next year.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 14-Sep-17 11:22:56

The school may also need to do a risk assessment for your pregnancy. e.g. I guess you shouldn't be asked to support a child with behavioural issues and form for punching teachers.
The Staffroom section of the education boards may help also.

My DD is now 8 weeks in and it's going pretty well so far, though she is already on her second cold.

catslife Fri 15-Sep-17 08:48:33

I think teen that's one of the occupational hazards of working with young children. Has she tried taking vitamin C supplements (or similar) to boost her immune system.
And mum1990 that's one of the other risks pregnant women take working with young children. There may be illnesses doing the rounds e.g. chicken pox that could be dangerous for pregnant women, but if they don't know you are pregnant they won't be able to warn you.

TeenTimesTwo Fri 15-Sep-17 08:52:28

cats That's a good idea, it certainly wouldn't hurt, as now she is making her own packed lunches to take to work I don't think she is often taking fruit/veg, and she doesn't have breakfast ...

Mum1990 Fri 15-Sep-17 12:35:55

Thank you for your replies, I shall keep that keep that in mind.

Thank you really appreciate it.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 15-Nov-17 13:54:23

So DD seems to be ticking along OK.
She can't change nappies fast enough apparently.
How long is it mean to take to change 10 nappies on the trot?
She also has problems when they change 'the rules' on stuff (I presume being flexible to the situation) as she has never been much good with shades of grey.
Going better than college ever did, I think.
She is getting some random study time, but it doesn't seem to coincide well with when she actually has work set.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 08-Jan-18 11:04:59

48% through qualification after just over 5 months. smile

Needs to do some ICT thing though as the ECDL she did at school (which counted as a level 2 thing then) apparently doesn't count now.

Faster at nappy changing!

Jackyjill6 Mon 05-Mar-18 19:34:31

How are things going with the nursery apprenticeship Teen? Is your DD still enjoying it?

TeenTimesTwo Thu 29-Mar-18 14:06:44

@Jackyjill6 Just seen your question. Thanks for asking. She is enjoying it but would enjoy it more if her back would stop aching and other health issues would clear up. But if she looked after herself better then maybe they would.

Jackyjill6 Sat 14-Apr-18 10:28:15

That's great to hear. We will be looking at apprenticeships here, so I am interested to hear everyone's experiences.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: