Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for looking for good apprenticeships

(10 Posts)
Mary21 Fri 30-Jun-17 09:49:15

Ds has decided to leave school at the end of this year .year 12. Looking for advanced apprenticeships. Either business or accountancy. Any tips. For finding something decent. There is so much with similar titles on sites such as NGTU and the government site. Any other good websites.

TotallyEclipsed Fri 30-Jun-17 12:15:51

Dd's was advertised in the local paper, but it was quite a lot earlier in the year (Jan or Feb closing date as far as I remember) so I suspect a lot of apprenticeships starting this September will have already recruited. It might be worth approaching any of the larger likely firms that are local to you directly to ask what schemes they offer and if there are any vacancies still available.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 30-Jun-17 12:20:53

Try the civil service. The apprentices we have are high quality and go on to do level 5 courses afterwards and the vast majority get permanent jobs. Our apprentices are on £18k for 37 hours.

FinallyHere Fri 30-Jun-17 12:46:29

https://careers.sky.com/starting-out/apprenticeship-programmes

Mary21 Fri 30-Jun-17 14:11:51

Thanks will look them up

TeenAndTween Fri 30-Jun-17 15:08:28

No idea.

But it is nice to see someone else parenting an apprentice on here.

OutandIntoday Fri 30-Jun-17 15:17:50

Looking into degree apprenticeships might also be a good idea. I heard a radio 4 program about this one www.uk.capgemini.com/careers/your-career-path/apprentices last year- sounds like they were getting great experience.

Mary21 Fri 30-Jun-17 15:55:01

They look good unfortunately he will be leaving school this summer so no A levels, maybe AS,s

Aquathest Sun 02-Jul-17 11:48:43

Try worksforme.co.uk
Also there is the Telegraph Apprenticeship app that your DS can download to his smartphone (sorry assuming he has one)
This covers Apprenticeship vacancies right across the country - there are hundreds in there.

onaroll Mon 03-Jul-17 13:56:49

My DS starts his apprenticeship in September.
Originally found it on the yougov website.
Found & applied to lots on there.
He got very lucky with this one - the one he really wanted.
His was an early closing date (Feb?) , he was offered the position in April.
It's for 5 years, a higher level apprenticeship they will be paying for his degree.

Big companies TFL, BT SKY etc all have processes on their pages for apprenticeships.

Good luck to your DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now