Talk

Advanced search

How do you find out your consultant's 'miscarriage rate' for CVS and amnio?

(8 Posts)
swineofthetimes Wed 22-Jul-09 19:11:15

Is this knowledge in the public domain? Have seen lots of comments on threads along the lines of 'my consultant has a 1 in x rate'. How do you find this out?
Thanks.

jojobeanie Wed 22-Jul-09 22:48:36

Interested in this myself as have appointment at maternity hosp tomorrow am to discuss bloods with the option of an amnio. Very confused as have not been given my blood results. Letter only stated that I have "a slightly increased risk of having a baby with Down's syndrome".

swineofthetimes Thu 23-Jul-09 07:19:45

Hope it goes OK jojobeanie.

Another bump...I really want/ need to know please.

Blackduck Thu 23-Jul-09 07:21:31

Ask, I did.

swineofthetimes Thu 23-Jul-09 07:25:47

I will ask - but I have a choice of four places to go to - not to mention the option of paying to go to the FMC.
Leaving it till I meet them is a bit late IYSWIM.

lumpasmelly Thu 23-Jul-09 16:30:35

I went to the FMC for a CVS a few years ago. They were incredible...I barely felt a thing, and they were very reassuring. I think that Professor Nikolaides (sp) and his staff are the worldwide experts as they do these sorts of tests every day. Practice makes perfect I suppose. Good Luck!

jojobeanie Thu 23-Jul-09 21:17:07

Thankyou swine, I had my appt and decided against the amnio. I asked for the miscarriage rates and the midwife said they do not give this info out. She did,however, say that they were lower than the national average. This was ARI in Aberdeen.
Hope all goes well with whatever you decide swine smile

deleting Thu 23-Jul-09 21:34:30

i had mine with prof nicolaides. can't recommend him enough. he is lovely and offers his arm to squeeze while he does it. didn't hurt, felt a bit queasy for a few minutes after and very mild discomfort in that area, but soon went. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now