Advanced search

Low fetal DNA - NIPT test

(12 Posts)
CakeSchmake Tue 10-Nov-20 17:40:49

Has anyone else experienced this?

Had bloods taken for a private NIPT at 10+5 and found out today they will need to be redrawn due to low fetal DNA.

I'm feeling really anxious now. Googling (stupid, I know!) tells me that only two thirds of repeat bloods are successful, and also that low fetal DNA is more commonly found in cases of chromosomal abnormality. I know that BMI can have an effect, so hoping that it's my BMI of 27 which has led to this rather than problems with the baby.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Would love to hear your experiences if so.

OP’s posts: |
weivfgotthis Tue 10-Nov-20 22:01:51

I haven't had personal experience of this so hopefully someone will come along that has but I have read in previous threads that the nipt tests done prior to 12 weeks can have this result.
Have the clinic asked you to wait a week or so before the re draw?

ivfbeenbusy Wed 11-Nov-20 10:09:32

I had NIPT done for my twins about the same gestation - around 10+6 - my first draw came back insufficient DNA and like you cue massive panic! I think one twin came back 3% and the other 4% - most NIPT companies have a threshold of about 5-8% below which they state it's an "insufficient dna" situation.

I had mine redrawn at 13+2 and did get a result this time - think they came back around 5% dna each

Bright81 Thu 12-Nov-20 12:43:53

Hi @CakeSchmake, I have just come back from the hospital discussing what my options are for further testing, as I received high risk results from my combined screening. I had seen a few threads where people had been told their NIPT results were unsuccessful due to low %DNA. I asked the midwife about it because it's one of the main reasons I am considering a CVS instead. The midwife explained that this is more often than not due to the blood tests being taken early on which means there is naturally a lower level of baby's DNA in the bloodstream. The further along you are when the bloods are taken the higher quantity of their DNA is present - so I would say that this is probably what has happened in your case. I hope that gives you a little reassurance, I know how worrying this time is thanks

Booni Thu 12-Nov-20 19:00:36

@CakeSchmake hello, sorry you are going through this flowers it happened to me last week. I waited for my harmony results for almost 3 weeks and found out there wasn’t enough DNA in both samples. My risk was really high so decided to go for Amnio and received the results back within 48 hours. I received all clear smile I was convinced for 3 weeks ( as I googled a lot) that my child was unwell. Keeping my fingers crossed for you xx

MaryShelley1818 Sat 14-Nov-20 21:17:38

I have had 4 Harmony Tests done.
With my little boy the first was inconclusive and the redraw successful. With this pregnancy both attempts were unsuccessful.
I spoke to the scientist at the lab who reassured me that it's actually very very common for this to happen, and in no way points to any problems.
I would never ever recommend it or have it done again as it has caused me horrendous worry and anxiety unnecessarily.

Livingmagicallyagain Sun 15-Nov-20 22:18:20

I had this, redraw came back with enough fetal fraction and showed low risk. Fingers crossed for you too!

KLM25 Mon 16-Nov-20 14:40:59

Hi @CakeSchmake, I just wanted to let you know that the exact same thing happened to me about two weeks ago.

I had the NIPT through Ultrasound Direct at around 10 + 5 and about 8 days later got an email to say the test result was inconclusive due to insufficient foetal dna.

It has caused me a fair amount of anxiety especially because I was advised at my 12 week scan not to have the combined test as the NIPT was more accurate (didn’t know at that stage that it had been inconclusive!).

I went back for a redraw of bloods at around 12 + 4 and to my relief the results have just come through in an email this lunchtime as low probability 1:10,000. It’s 9 days since I had the second test.

Reading various threads and echoing previous comments, it does seem that a lot of tests are inconclusive if done around the 10 week mark. I think if I was in the same position again, I would try to hold off for a few more weeks to avoid the stress!

Anyway, I hope this might help to reassure you, I felt exactly the same way as you. Fingers crossed you’ll get your result soon too.

Amanduh Mon 16-Nov-20 21:13:30

Had exactly the same. Was worried sick. Had the redraw and it was fine! He is 6mo now smile

CakeSchmake Fri 20-Nov-20 22:04:27

Thanks everyone, your responses really helped me. Unfortunately my redraw came through with low fetal fraction too. It was at over 12 weeks.

I've been googling incessantly and I'm feeling really upset. I had the test wanting reassurance, and now I feel I have the opposite of that!

I'm considering a private invasive test but not sure how to even set that up as my city doesn't seem to have fetal medicine specialists. Also worrying about whether it's warranted or whether I'm overreacting.

OP’s posts: |
Anja05 Fri 20-Nov-20 22:47:50

Hi,I have low ff on 17 and 18 weeks,3,8% and 3.2%,I am panicking,but my nhs 12 weeks was low risk so I dont know wgat to think or do.I can have amino on monday but I am worry I might miscarriage healghy baby if the risk was low.midvife said it is nit what consultant recomended but he will do ut if you so worry.My dream is now he will do a good scan and decide what to do basic on thay not that I am worry

Bright81 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:47:26

@CakeSchmake that's really annoying, I can imagine how frustrated you must be. Are you in the UK? If you have had low risk back from combined test then I would be less inclined to do an invasive test. So I suppose it depends on why you have concerns, have you had any scans yet? I have seen people recommend the fetal medicine centre in London for private tests, so that could be something to look into? X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in