Harmony insufficient foetal dna

(9 Posts)
Blizy Thu 09-Jan-20 18:29:46

I had a harmony test last Saturday as my screening results gave me a 1:6 chance of ds. I had a call from the clinic today stating that there was not enough foetal dna within my blood test to perform the screening. I've to go back on the 18th for a re-draw of blood. I guess what I'm asking is has this happened to anyone here?

OP’s posts: |
Nanmumandmidwife Thu 09-Jan-20 19:27:43

This does happen sometimes. It sounds like you have had to go outside the NHS for this (it is very patchy across the country about where you can get it). The NHS will have/should have offered you an invasive test - is that worth reconsidering? Have you had a scan with a fetal medicine specialist to see if there are any indicators on the scan? Do you know what lead to the 1 in 6 calculation (your age, the nuchal measurement or the hormone levels)?

Amanduh Thu 09-Jan-20 19:47:37

Yep, happened to me a couple of months ago. I had a redraw two weeks later. All came back clear. Sometimes there is just not enough DNA in the sample due to gestational age, bmi, etc etc. The amount had almost doubled in my redraw.

Blizy Thu 09-Jan-20 20:15:46

Thanks Amanduh that's reassuring.

OP’s posts: |
Blizy Thu 09-Jan-20 20:20:07

nanmumandwife, my PAP A was low however the other markers were within the normal range. My age and the fact my first born (who was stillborn) had Down syndrome.
Yes, I went to a private clinic. My consultant did offer me an amnio, but I have declined. I can't justify the miscarriage risk.

OP’s posts: |
Nanmumandmidwife Thu 09-Jan-20 20:47:21

@Blizy I fully understand why you don’t want an amino but would like the (hopefully) reassurance that the NIPT would offer. Have you been offered a fetal medicine specialist scan? That potentially could also bring you some reassurance while you wait to repeat the NIPT.
I am so sorry that your firstborn was stillborn. It will make this pregnancy even more precious and emotionally complex.

Blizy Thu 09-Jan-20 20:52:12

nanmumandwife I haven't been offered a fmu scan. I have a midwife/consultant appointment on Monday, I will ask about it then. As far S I'm aware my next scan will be my anomaly scan which will be performed by my consultant.

OP’s posts: |


Nanmumandmidwife Thu 09-Jan-20 21:19:29

Is it a fetal medicine consultant you are seeing on Monday? If not, it would be worth considering asking for a referral to the team who do the amino, asking for a specialist scan review to help guide your decisions about further testing. If there is high suspicion that a baby has Down’s syndrome it is my practice to also get a specialist cardiac scan at around 16-17 weeks as that can inform decision making and planning

Blizy Thu 09-Jan-20 21:30:40

Thank you so much for your advice. I will most definitely ask on Monday. I don't think my consultant is from the fmu (I'm not actually sure
If my trust has one?) The only Medical professional I've seen so far was the screening midwife, who went through the results and next steps with us. Nothing was ever mentioned about a detailed heart scan, only that it would be checked during my anomaly scan.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in