Talk

Advanced search

High NT result

(16 Posts)
Amber1606 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:14:46

Hello everyone I'm new here!
Had my first 12 week scan yesterday, me and my partner went in all happy and excited only to be told my NT results is 3.7. It's classed at normal to be anything below 3.5. Which means I'm at high risk of downs or any heart problems, I've literally not stopped crying since finding out and I don't know what to do sad we've had further blood tests to see how high risk i actually am, and waiting for the results to come back within the next 5 days. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and everything came back normal? Or any advice would be great.
Thanks! X

OP’s posts: |
MissMarple0203 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:21:53

Hi, I had this. I was extremely distressed and concerned, so I can appreciate how you are feeling. It turned out that everything was fine, no problems at all. The specialist even said that it is quite common for false reading (higher NT). She told me that many Drs want to change the test result as it is not totally reliable and causes alit of distress (it seems it's a cost issue). Anyway, I hope this reassures you. Obviously sometimes it can be bad news, but there is a very good chance all will be well.

Amber1606 Sat 28-Dec-19 19:04:09

Thankyou for sharing your story, it's made me feel a bit more positive! Can I ask what your NT measurement was? X

OP’s posts: |
Nanmumandmidwife Sat 28-Dec-19 21:22:41

With an NT of 3.7 there is a good chance that no problems will be found. We see results much higher. Remember that because this is fluid, the measurement changes day to day, so at another time it may have measured a bit less. This way your baby is being extra thoroughly checked.
Which test have you had? The usual “combined test” or the non-invasive test? Have you been offered an invasive test (CVS or amino?) You should be offered a cardiac scan at around 17/18 weeks - before then the baby’s heart is too small and too underdeveloped to examine well enough.

MissMarple0203 Sat 28-Dec-19 22:54:47

I can't remember exactly, I think it was a similar reading to what you have. We were offered a special scan at the fetal medicine unit. It was very worrying, but the Dr was very calming and she made sure to reassure us through ought the process. Have you been offered a scan? Who gave you the result. I would suggest contacting them and asking to discuss it. I was told via phone so didn't really process it. I rang back 20 minutes later and asked lots of questions, they were very happy to discuss it and to answer my questions. If you have been offered a scan, be sure to take someone with you. My scan ended up being a nice experience because we were able to see the baby for about 45 minutes (it's a long scan) we were also told what we were having during the scan which was good. I hope you feel more reassured.

doadeer Sat 28-Dec-19 22:58:24

My son is 11 months, our NT was 4.7 and we were led to believe he was very very high risk. Went to have CVS and when they measured again it was 3.7 and our results came back negative and he's perfectly healthy.

Hellish few weeks.

You're only just over the normal range, did you get a ratio chance when they added this to your blood work? Ours was 1/84

Amber1606 Sun 29-Dec-19 08:33:44

@nanmumandmidwife
Thankyou for your post, I've had the combined test on the normal 12 week scan and then I've had blood tests, just waiting on results, she said she'd phone me if the results come back high risk if not I'll just receive a letter through the post. We've been offered the Amnio and we've got a 16 week scan also. She Mentioned something about having a 20 week heart scan, buts that's only if the DS test comes back not high risk x

OP’s posts: |
Amber1606 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:36:11

@doadeer
Thanks for your story, I haven't received a ratio yet, as only have the NT result, but should be getting the blood results back this week and then they'll give me a ratio they said. She also said if everything comes back normal they won't ring and I'll just get a letter, but I'm not happy with that, I can't wait for a letter!! So I'm going to ring a Chase it up this coming week if I haven't heard anything

OP’s posts: |
Amber1606 Thu 02-Jan-20 12:43:35

Had my blood results back and it's come back with 1:7 for Down syndrome, and so upset! Can anyone help me be positive 😫 I'm having the non invasive test on Saturday and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

OP’s posts: |
Johnson10 Thu 02-Jan-20 17:40:30

@Amber1606

so sorry your going through this. I’m in a similar situation at the moment. Mine was 1 in 33. Had the NIPT on Monday, awaiting results. It’s pure hell. The stress, the worry, the tears. Nothing anyone says will make you feel better.
But lots of people are going through the same thing so I understand how distressed you feel.
Keep thinking positive. Xx

Amber1606 Thu 02-Jan-20 17:55:16

@johnson10

It really is horrible 🥺 I should get my results back end of next week, it's the wait that kills me! I wish you could just have it done then they tell you straight away ☹️ keeping everything crossed for you, wishing you all the luck, let me know how you get on x

OP’s posts: |
Indella Thu 02-Jan-20 17:58:44

Try not to worry. Remember 1:7 means 14% chance. So that’s 86% chance there is no problem. If someone told you that you had 89% of winning the lottery you’d go out and buy loads of tickets. The odds are still good and you will know more after diagnostic testing.

Johnson10 Thu 02-Jan-20 18:00:35

@Amber1606

I really think the NHS needs to address this. Surely this distress to woman can’t be good for the baby. I know it’s costs ect.
Sending you lots of positive thoughts & luck. Hopefully everything will be fine! X

Amber1606 Fri 03-Jan-20 21:38:06

I'm having the NIPT tomorrow, and should get results back by the end of next week, it's going to be a long wait!

OP’s posts: |
Amber1606 Sat 04-Jan-20 19:01:24

Had the NIPT test, and feeling a lot more positive, she did thorough checks on baby and she said everything looks normal, NT results went from 3.7 to 3.3 but obviously still going to send bloods off and we should find out by Thursday next week! Don't want to be too positive just in case, but feeling a lot better about it all smile

OP’s posts: |
User3billion Mon 06-Jan-20 11:29:12

Please have a look at positiveaboutdownsyndrome.co.uk/ if you're worried. Having a baby with DS isn't nearly as scary as you'd imagine. I know, I've been there & honestly have the most incredible little girl.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in