12 week scan Micrognathia

(5 Posts)
Leggy123 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:04:12

I had my 12 week scan on the 4/12 and Sonographers said she had real concerns about our baby as the chin was showing smaller than it should at this gestation.
I had to go on Monday to fetal medicine where my bloods came back and I was high risk for Down syndrome 1:116
I then had to have a in-depth scan where everything was checked on. Baby as much as it could be at 13 weeks.
Consultant said baby is too small to say definitely whether it has a small chin but she is suspicious.
In the end I had a cvs test so to check if baby has chromosome problem ect.
First results came back yesterday and baby doesn’t have downs Syndrome, Edwards syndrome or Patau syndrome so that is reassuring.
But am still concerned what could be wrong with baby I’ve stupidly google Micrognathia and it doesn’t look good.
Is there anyone else who has gone through this?

OP’s posts: |
Nanmumandmidwife Thu 12-Dec-19 20:13:25

The first thing to do is look closely at your family and baby’s dad’s family! As with all things there is a range of what is normal.
It was quite sensible to do a CVS because true micrognathia can be linked to chromosomal issues. Good news about the preliminary results & I assume you’ll get the second part in a week or so.
Assuming CVS is ok the suggestion will be to monitor growth during the pregnancy. Is there is genuinely an unusually small lower jaw I would suggest a hospital birth with a neonatal doctor on standby. Just occasionally some breathing help is needed at first
Very likely that this will not turn out to be a significant issue though.
Let us know how things go

Leggy123 Thu 12-Dec-19 21:58:00

Thank you so much for your reply
We have already had a baby together and she has petite features but her chin is quite obvious.
I have a obvious chin as does my sister and dad.
My first daughter( different father) has a small chin completely flush and doesn’t protrude or anything so I guess things can be different.
We will just have to Wait for results and see where we go from there

OP’s posts: |
Alima82 Wed 05-Feb-20 10:18:26

Hi please can you help and update me, I am in a turmoil, I’m in similar situation. I have no support as I’ve been told the micrognathia is severe and I should think about termination. I never want to do that. I’m constantly crying. The uncertainty is killing me. I’ve had cvs result1 clearly waiting for second results. What is your outcome? I’m very hopeful all on my own, plea see advise

Sussexmidwife Wed 05-Feb-20 19:53:03

I will PM you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in