Talk

Advanced search

28 weeks and glucose in urine..

(6 Posts)
summeryet Fri 06-Dec-19 11:35:59

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I am 28 weeks pregnant. Have already had a glucose tolerance test, with the results being a-okay. Yesterday at a routine mat appointment, I had a trace (+) of glucose in my urine. This has happened before, so I'm going for a repeat next week, and will have a further GTT if it's still there.

Does anyone know what it might mean?

Had a terrible time with a poorly baby last time, so am super worried about infections, etc.

Thanks!

summeryet Fri 06-Dec-19 13:53:29

Anyone...?

Not that I'm anxious or anything wink

Stupiddriver1 Fri 06-Dec-19 16:22:41

The filtration in your nephrons change in pregnancy and can sometimes allow slightly bigger particles to filter through. Which doesn't cause any issues but for some women can mean that more glucose particles filter out into the urine. As long as they have (and continue) to rule out diabetes it is very unlikely to be an issue and should resolve itself after pregnancy.

summeryet Fri 06-Dec-19 17:18:18

Appreciated!

KatnissK Fri 06-Dec-19 17:22:51

Might not mean anything - I had +3 glucose at my 28w appt and had the GTT but it was all fine. Didn't have glucose in my urine at any other appt afterwards either. Weird.

Nanmumandmidwife Mon 09-Dec-19 20:29:10

Your body uses various strategies to keep your blood sugar in the normal range. If you have just had a bowl of Frosties when you do your urine sample your body may be peeing sugar out to keep your blood sugar normal. Increased urine sugar is just a waste of sugar (!) but can increase your chance of urine infection as it feeds bugs rather well. It is the blood sugar level that matters, so if you have sugar in your urine we will tend to retest your blood.
If we all checked when we are not pregnant the same thing is probably happening. We eat too much sugar usually and our bodies are very good at maintaining normality.
Suggest you treat this as a reminder about healthy food choices

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »