Talk

Advanced search

Do I really need to see consultant?

(2 Posts)
lolo78 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:51:11

At our 20 week scan we found out our boy has a high nuchal fold at 7.3mm. We were told this could mean Downs so we did the NIPT test and it came back very low chance. Midwife said baby having a high nuchal fold will probably just be normal for him and that they weren't particularly worried. But we still need to have extra growth scans and to see the consultant at 28 weeks. (I'm 22 weeks now)

I'm just curious, if they aren't to worried about it and the NIPT test came back clear is it really necessary to see the consultant still? What could he be looking for? Could the high nuchal measurement mean anything else other than downs?

legalseagull Mon 02-Dec-19 19:53:06

Yes it can mean various chromosomal issues such as edwards syndrome but presumably your test looked for that too. It can also be indicative of heart problems so the extra scans are helpful. It could just be nothing so don't panic, but certainly get all the checks and help you need to be informed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »