Talk

Advanced search

Nuchal measurement

(4 Posts)
rainbow1982 Tue 26-Nov-19 19:17:39

Hi all, had my 12 week scan today, Nuchal measurement was 2.1mm which she said is totally normal but doesn't mean much on its own, I'm just waiting now on my blood results, can there still be an issue even with a normal Nuchal measurement? I appreciate I might sound like a nutter, I'm just finding it so hard to believe everything is going well after 3 devastating losses. I was absolutely terrified about today after all our heartbreak, coupled with my age (37)

Nanmumandmidwife Tue 26-Nov-19 19:40:47

@rainbow1982. You do not sound like a nutter at all. You sound like a woman who has had her heart broken & desperately wants a baby in her arms.
That is a very reassuring NT measurement. Yes, you can get an increased chance result from the combined test if your hormones are at unusual levels, and remember that the result is always skewed by your age. However, a baby who has a normal appearance on scan is statistically unlikely to be affected by trisomy 21,18or 13.
I’m happy to review results for you when they arrive if you like xxx

MajorFaffington Tue 26-Nov-19 22:53:20

You absolutely don’t sound like a nutter. Pregnancy can be anxiety inducing at the best of times, and you have been through a lot.

Very much as @Nanmumandmidwife has described, in my second pregnancy I had a NT measurement of 2, but received a “high risk” for Down’s Syndrome combined screening result due to abnormal hormone levels.

I had the NIPT which came back as low risk and he is now 5 weeks old and doesn’t have Down’s Syndrome.

rainbow1982 Wed 27-Nov-19 16:10:13

Thank you so very much to both of you, that has really reassured me and I now understand there can still be a high risk. If so we're opting for the £400 test which we can arrange through St Mary's as I absolutely can't face an amnio, the thought terrifies me!!

Thank you again I really appreciate it xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »