Growth scan dropping centiles??

(13 Posts)
ameliathomas84 Thu 07-Nov-19 05:43:12

Been for third growth scan baby was on 50th centile both times before now is on 20th centile so have another booked for two weeks with consultant after to make decision , midwife said they will be happy if she stays on 20th it goes above just not below again!
I'm 34 weeks on Friday so on next scan will be 35+4 awaiting oc diagnosis (had twice before and signs showing awaiting blood results)
Anyone had this? What will options be at next scan ?

OP’s posts: |
HiyaVera Thu 07-Nov-19 06:02:28

I'm going through the same at the minute. 33 weeks and she's dropped down on the growth chart in the last 2 weeks.
I had to have steroid injections just as a precaution if they do have to deliver early but I have another scan in 2 weeks at 35 weeks so they will decide then.
The consultant has said that if the growth has stopped then they will deliver early as they can do more for baby outside but if she's still growing at a steady pace, just lower on the chart then it's more than likely she'll just be a small baby.
Sorry I can't be more help, but try not to worry too much at this stage. thanks

PlanDeRaccordement Thu 07-Nov-19 06:09:23

Agree with hiyavera

The concern is if the baby stops growing not if growing slows. The measurements in scans are very inaccurate too because technician points and clicks at sonogram image and if baby is stretched out one day, then curled up the next scan it will give false lower size result.
Too, baby growth is more putting down fat layers in last month of pregnancy. The skull and limbs do not get longer but thicker...which is even harder to measure accurately. So, I agree do not worry. It is fine to have a small bit perfectly formed and healthy baby.

HiyaVera Thu 07-Nov-19 06:12:12

And also, my midwife told me that at this stage they go on weight for reasons above, baby can be stretched out or squashed up when trying to scan.
As long as your blood flow is good, placenta working as it should as water levels are normal then you shouldn't have too much to worry about it.

ameliathomas84 Thu 07-Nov-19 09:30:34

@HiyaVera thanks for that van I ask do you have any pregnancy complications? As I haven't even been offered the shots and am worried that I'm waiting another two weeks with no plan! X

OP’s posts: |
HiyaVera Thu 07-Nov-19 09:40:55

@ameliathomas84 unfortunately my first was stillborn and my eldest daughter was very small with restricted growth too so they are always overly cautious with me. Thankfully my youngest had absolutely no problems at all during pregnancy but this time baby has been growing normally up until my scan this week so I think it's purely just precautionary with me. The midwife has said that it's probably just the case that I have small babies but they need to make sure they are taking all steps to keep her safe. If she hasn't grown at all by my next scan they will look to induce at 37 weeks but If she's growing steadily but still small then they will let me go to 39 as normal.

ameliathomas84 Thu 07-Nov-19 09:46:29

@HiyaVera thanks , my two were pretty small 5-13 and 6lb but were born early due to oc so we're on the 25th and 21st centile , however this one has dropped off to what I feel is normal my worry was last time and this time they struggled to measure blood flow through the cord and had to do 4 times to get "normal" results this worried me plus with the reduced movements but even though they said I would be consultant led ive seem h once at 9 weeks! Which seems unreal! I have him in two weeks after my growth scan to book c section c

OP’s posts: |
HiyaVera Thu 07-Nov-19 09:55:12

@ameliathomas84 so that seems normal for you to have smaller babies too?
Very strange that you've only seen the consultant once though. Have you spoken to your midwife about that? I'm sure they can refer you for an appointment if you're worried.
Have they been able to give you a definite answer on the blood flow? When is your next scan?

ameliathomas84 Thu 07-Nov-19 10:05:14

@HiyaVera spoke to here she says no indication at minute to see anymore than have! She's really not very supportive, with regards to blood flow they just kept trying till they got a normal result! He said you can get a false bad result not a false good result but I dunno feel a bit like have to go with what they say! But she drilled into my head any change in movements ring triage which had worried me! My next scan and consultant is in two weeks today! Which was already pre booked for my next growth scan (having every 2 weeks ) and consultant to book c section (as stands at 39weeks) and midwife said yesterday that that's standard procedure for reduced growth scan on two weeks and consultant so no changes to plan need to be made as I'm seeing anyway!
I have a community midwife coming today to re take my bloods for oc as not had done for 3 weeks and my itching is intense if I get a diagnosis maybe that will encourage them to move things on!
I just want sire when she said he will make a decision on two weeks time what to do when sees scan, does that mean possibility of deliver then? As if plan is another scan on two weeks what's point on scaring

OP’s posts: |
ameliathomas84 Thu 07-Nov-19 10:05:57

This is my scale x

OP’s posts: |
HiyaVera Thu 07-Nov-19 10:11:52

@ameliathomas84 I would say that as they don't seem overly concerned at this point then you shouldn't worry too much.
Obviously just keep an eye on movements and if there's anything you're not happy with then call your delivery suite straight away.

I see what you mean by your chart but baby is still above the bottom line which, although they have dropped slightly, they are still above the lowest range.
Mine has dropped under the bottom line which I think is why they've given me the injections.

If you're unhappy though I would keep pushing and see if you can speak to the community midwife when she comes round. The last thing they will want is for you to be stressed out so just try and get some reassurance. thanks

And remember, the delivery suite is always there to call if you're worried.

ameliathomas84 Thu 07-Nov-19 10:20:21

@HiyaVera yes I definitely will and thanks for taking time to reply to me xx

OP’s posts: |
HiyaVera Thu 07-Nov-19 10:23:21

@ameliathomas84 no problem. I hope everything goes well, keep us updated!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in